Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<SOLVED> cisco vpn connectivity (what client works with kernel 2.6.30)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> cisco vpn connectivity (what client works with kernel 2.6.30)

I've tried 3 different clients to connect to my office vpn and none of them function with the latest 2.6.30 kernel. I was using the Cisco VPN Client but that is no longer compatible with kernel 2.6.30. It compiled but would not run due to a module format error. I then tried Cisco anyconnect without success. I have a PCF profile file from my office but no way to convert it to the anyconnect format. That left me with vpnc again and unfortunately it's no better than last time I tried it. It hoses my DNS configuration every time I use it forcing me to manually edit the resolv.conf file. If I knew a little more about DNS I might try and fix it but I don't. This is one case I just need it to work. Any solutions since I'm back in XP Pro during the day as a result?

Also, I can't explain this but now running resolvconf -d eth0 && resolvconf -u adds my corporate nameservers back to the top of resolv.conf even though I rebooted and not connected to the VPN. Of course that shows down the network. I'm not logged into the vpn so where is it getting the nameservers? I don't know how to stop it from happening on a reboot.

UPDATE:
    Looks like the resolv.conf problem is caused when vpnc disconnects without running vpnc-disconnect. When it drops unexpectedly it leaves the /etc/resolvconf/run/interface/tun0 file lying around. If I delete it and reboot I can resolve the issue of my primary DNS servers being overwritten by the VPN DNS servers. I'm not sure how to resolve it without a reboot. I tried deleting the file and running /etc/init.d/resolvconf restart but that didn't work for me.
    SOLUTION:
    Finally got anyconnect working with the help of CISCO support. The problem in my case was server not the client. In the end vpnc works okay but causes DNS headaches if my system hangs, crashes or I logout without running vpnc-disconnect.
    Cheers, UK
    linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; cisco vpn connectivity (what client works with kernel 2.6.30)

Could you please tell me, what was the solution advise by the CISCO support?

Comment

Working...
    X