X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resize .vmx file without full VMWare

Hi

Not necessarily 'buntu but I'm wondering if anyone can advise.

Some time back I converted my Windows Partition into a VM to run with the free VMWare player. At the time it was 14Gb and so the resulting file is that size. The VM is housed in its own partition with an extra 2GB for suspending making 16Gb.

Since doing the conversion, have removed some superfluous applications. My windows VM is therefore now 7Gb plus 7Gb free space. I would like to reclaim some of that , if possible. Other than the chargeable VMWare workstation is there anything that can shrink the VM a bit?

Thanks

Re: Resize .vmx file without full VMWare

Have a google party for:
    vmware-vdiskmanager
    That should point you in the right direction.

Sorry I can't of more use right now, but I gotta run.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for that, Fintan.

From what I read vmware-vdiskmanager will not shrink a VM in a Linux host. Is that your perception too?

Comment

Hi, Liquidator,

From what I read vmware-vdiskmanager will not shrink a VM in a Linux host. Is that your perception too?
        I am not back at the office, but relaxing in the sun in what goes for a beach in these parts.
        Writing this on 5 year old HP pavilion with 512mb ram on jj.

Anyway I digress, just having fun with this stone age piece of techn..

To your question.
        Google and others tells me that shrinking only works with windows hosts.

I have used vdiskmanager in the past, but for expanding. So I guess the only route for you would be to install a vmware workstation trial on a installed windows schrink your vmdisk and then..........

Aother question:
        do you or a friend have a win xp dvd?
        If so get your self vmware workstaion trial (valid for a month) and do a virgin install of your windows.

Then you can start from scratch ( I know it is a b...ch) but that is the way did it.
        I always keep a virgin xp guest on a stick.

I hope this helps.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have also wondered about the shrinking question -- I have never seen any reference to shrinking a Win VM on a Linux host.

If you can't find a way, then the next best thing would be to select either the 5GB or the 8GB blank virtual disk from John Bokma's zipped set of blank VMDK disk drive files -- here's the link:

http://johnbokma.com/vmware-player/e...isk-files.html

Save the downloaded file carefully -- you never know when you'll need it again.

Comment

Hi Fintan (and Dibl)

Thanks for that.

Yes I do have an XP DVD. The issue with getting the trial version is that I have already downloaded one to install VMWare Tools

I was coming to the conclusion that I may need to try a fresh installation. One question in my mind was whether to get a (second) evaluation copy of VMWare Workstation or give Virtualbox a go. Nothing too urgent at the mo.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Also noted the blank VMs, thanks Dibl. Got a bit worried when you said 5/8Gb (when I only have 512k Broadband) although I note the lot seem to weigh in at only 21kb The instructions look a bit scary but I'll have a better look at them later.

Thanks both!

Comment

You are welcome of course.

dibles suggestion makes sense. On the other hand:

Yes I do have an XP DVD. The issue with
              getting the trial version is that I have already downloaded one to install VMWare Tools
              get yourself a different free email account and re-register with your sons, etc name for the trial version.

Okay it is not exactly cosher, but heh, you are not missusing it.
              Right?

Greets, and yes the sun does wonders. Very hot. Have to close this poor baby. Otherwise I can cook an omelet on it.

4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

Also noted the blank VMs, thanks Dibl. Got a bit worried when you said 5/8Gb (when I only have 512k Broadband) although I note the lot seem to weigh in at only 21kb The instructions look a bit scary but I'll have a better look at them later.
                No, the zip file is amazingly small -- the .vmdk files are actually just empty shells. Don't let the instructions intimidate you -- here's the real deal:

1. Open the downloaded file with Ark and extract your selected .vmdk to the directory where you're going to have your VM.

2. Open your .vmx file with VMWare Player, and install your OS.

It's really that simple (assuming you have an appropriate .vmx for your OS and hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

2. Open your .vmx file with VMWare Player, and install your OS.

It's really that simple (assuming you have an appropriate .vmx for your OS and hardware).
                  Thanks. Yes, I do have a .vmx file, but only the one I want to shrink. Am I right in assuming the file you are referring to would be a downloaded one?

Comment

.vmx is just a little text file that contains system configuration info. The virtual hard disk drive that holds the actual OS and software is the .vmdk file. So, the beginning .vmx file needs to be "right" -- i.e. you need to get one or make one that is specific to your OS. The "empty" beginning .vmdk is generic -- it works for any new OS installation. So you just pick the size you want to run on, and that's it for the .vmdk.

I would assume your existing .vmx file will work correctly to re-install the same OS (Win XP) again.

Comment

Working...
                    X