This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xubntu su <>sudo question

I am setting up an old laptop for my son which is running xubuntu 9.04 (sorry for asking here but the xubuntu forum seem a bit deserted). I don't want him to be able to "sudo" so I set a password for su, I typed

sudo passwd

I then typed in a password which was accepted, now if I type su in a terminal screen it asks for the above password and root access is obtained. But if as a normal users if go into add\remove (programs) it will ask for a password for the users and by entering the users password it gives me root access, if I try the su password it gets rejected. How can I change this??

Tim

Re: xubntu su &lt;&gt;sudo question

You should set up a user account for yourself first. Your name will be the username and your password will be the sudo password.

Then set up another user account for your son. His name will be that username and his password will allow him to log on, but it will not be the sudo password.

A little bit appears on "Give a separate user account to each person" at https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/keeping-safe/C/users.html
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
    X