This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEE PC netbook Kubuntu on thumbdrive

I bought Kubuntu on a thumb drive from On-disk.com. It's the latest release. Anyhow, wireless sees the router and it's name, but I can't get the hex key to stick. the hex key in WEP security just won't record. hat am I doing wrong?

Re: EEE PC netbook Kubuntu on thumbdrive

Well, if this is running as a live CD each time you boot from there it will load the CD software from scratch. Is that the case? Do you have a home directory where you can save stuff and see it on your next CD ? Probably not. In that case, the simplest thing to do is boot from the thumbdrive you bought, and install Kubuntu into another thumbdrive. You'll be able to have persistent changes there.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Well, if this is running as a live CD each time you boot from there it will load the CD software from scratch. Is that the case? Do you have a home directory where you can save stuff and see it on your next CD ? Probably not. In that case, the simplest thing to do is boot from the thumbdrive you bought, and install Kubuntu into another thumbdrive. You'll be able to have persistent changes there.
      I'm told this already hs a persistent home. all the settings are saved upon exit. I'm just trying to figure out how t oget the wireless to work. It sees my network, it just won't accept my hex key.

Comment

Ah, it wasn't clear to me in your original post. Can you give more details? It's hard to help otherwise. I am using wep with no problems. There are different levels of encription, different network setups, it's probably best to start in the router and see exactly what you need to give. And also check that the router has a list of network cards allowed to connect. Etc.

Comment

can i get just a bit of clarification on your problem? i seam to be missing the exact question right now..(awake to long perhaps...)

you can connect to your network and it will not "save" the wep key for next boot
          or
          your can't connect to your network even though your have provided the correct key.

if its the second one you may want to try wicd as your network manager. i have always had problems connecting to encrypted networks w/ the new knetworkmanager. (others have reported better luck with it, so thats a plus)

then there is the question of your persistent drive is it only home that is persistant?
          if so you will not be able to perminately install programs as they will install to ram untill you turn off the machine. (at least my understanding)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
            can i get just a bit of clarification on your problem? i seam to be missing the exact question right now..(awake to long perhaps...)

you can connect to your network and it will not "save" the wep key for next boot
            or
            your can't connect to your network even though your have provided the correct key.

if its the second one you may want to try wicd as your network manager. i have always had problems connecting to encrypted networks w/ the new knetworkmanager. (others have reported better luck with it, so thats a plus)

then there is the question of your persistent drive is it only home that is persistant?
            if so you will not be able to perminately install programs as they will install to ram untill you turn off the machine. (at least my understanding)
            Thanks for allowing me to clarify. First let me add that what I ha ve is Kubuntu 9.04-9.06 Updated Edition Live Media on USB thumbdrive. I was toldthis versins alows for a persistent home. Software can be added, dsktop settings chnaged, etc. and all will reaminin place thenet time the drive is pluged in.

The network is found. Knetworkmanager sees the network and brings up the SSID. However, WEP hex key cannot be entered. When I do enter it, it just doesn't record.

Now, I think I may have stumbled on the reason why. When launching the repo, I was uaable to call up any programs. I noticed that I wasn't in root. I was never asked for the root password for the repo or the network manager. I think this is the problem.

I've got an email to On-Disk.com asking them for the procedure to get this drive into root mode, set up users, etc. I may be using some sort of default-guest mode which does not allow a persistent home, etc.

I'll report back after I speak with On-Disk.com.

Comment

I just got done speaking with Todd at On-disk.com. A really nice guy who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I'm certainly glad I purchased this drive from him.

He told me that I do not have to be in root. He also gave me the commands to get the repo to update through Konsole. So, I'll connect to the internet via hard wire and do the update tonight. This might lead to a solution for wireless. All I need is to have the hex number accepted. The network is found. Just can't get Kubuntu to accept the WEP key.

Comment

If you are using the knetwork manager when you first attempt to connect you should find you launch an application called kwallet which then asks you to assign a passord. The wallet then remembers your config and prompts you for the password on boot.

Is kwallet installed? Hit alt+F2 and type kwallet in the resulting box.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                  If you are using the knetwork manager when you first attempt to connect you should find you launch an application called kwallet which then asks you to assign a passord. The wallet then remembers your config and prompts you for the password on boot.

Is kwallet installed? Hit alt+F2 and type kwallet in the resulting box.
                  Thank you. I was unaware of this extra step. I'll give this a try tonight when my brother stops by with the netbook and Kubuntu thumb drive.

BTW, Dolphin is really nice!

Comment

Good luck, and remember the suggestion by sithlord48, wicd has saved the day for me every time I've had problems with Network Manager ...

Comment

Working...
                    X