This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleasant Surprise!!

This was a very welcome and pleasant surprise.
    I had bought a wireless card for my daughters pc a while back and put it into her pc running Linux Mint XFCE. The install was ok, had issues with it not automatically connecting, but whatever.
    Well, I decided to hook her pc up wired to the router, so of course I took the wireless card out. I dropped it into my pc running Kubuntu 9.04 with the expectation of having to do at least a little bit of configuring.
    To my surprise this was not the case. I started up the system and it instantly recognized the card. I opened up the wireless setting and entered my pass key and that was it. I was instantly connected to the internet.
    So I guess everyone is wondering what card I was using right?
    It was a cheap Rosewill with a wired antenna. This one to be exact ->
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166020

I am very happy to see how far Linux has come with handling wireless. I know there are still some issues, but everything looks to be headed in the right direction.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: Pleasant Surprise!!

Awesome! It would be nice if you can leave a review in Newegg indicating this worked OTB in Kubuntu. I always indicate the level of Linux support in my reviews to help others, and I search for Linux before buying (most hardware has happy "it worked automatically in Ubuntu" reviews these days )

Comment

Working...
    X