This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow kubuntu

I am working with kubuntu 9.04 and I enjoy it but sometimes my task manager and what is in it become very slow for example the application launcher takes at east 2 second to sets its content! and switching between 2 windows take a lot time to complete and switching between 2 windows in konsole takes at least 2 seconds.
    would you please tell me why this happen? and how can I solve this?

Re: slow kubuntu

Could you give some specs on your machine?

Like:
    cpu, ram, video card, etc
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks for your reply
      cpu: Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.40 GHz
      ram: 1GB
      please note that I said SOMETIMES i have problem with this

Comment

Number one, it might be due to low system memory, since you only have 1GB of ram. I've realised that Kubuntu 9.04 consumes more RAM than Kubuntu 8.04 or Ubuntu 8.10 (Didn't try Ubuntu 9.04 to compare to).

A fresh start would consume around 500 to 600 MB of the memory, other applications such as Firefox might take good amount of RAM, especially if you are watching videos such as on Youtube.

Add some other applications & your RAM is full!

Go to:
        Menu --> System --> System Monitor

Check how much memory is used, if it's near 1Gb or have reached it, the system would start using the SWAP memory, meaning it would use the hard drive as a temporary storage device instead of RAM (because it's full). That would really slow your machine down, since the access time of the hard drive is much more than the RAM.

If that was not the case,

Number two, might be due to graphics issue?

Menu --> System --> System Settings --> Desktop -- [Enable desktop effects] (Uncheck the box)
        See if the performance improves.

Please provide us with feedback on your memory usage, desktop effects status & VGA specs.

Comment

Hi dear thanks for your reply.
          my vga spec:
          VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
          Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device

my memory usage is about 300-400MB my total memory is 1GB.
          I don't have desktop effects

I think that my problem is not about cpu or memory usage because the slowness occurs only in task manager. when this happens my task manager hangs but I am able to switch between windows by alt+tab easily finally time solve the problem.
          would you please help me?

would you please help me?

Comment

Working...
          X