This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webkam abending, can anyone offer advice as to the cause

I installed the app "webkam" from http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.ph?content=76902 onto my eee 1000 Linux PC that I have running Kubuntu 9.04.

The app starts, takes photos, stores the photos properly, the video is functioning properly, the webcam starts and records video, but after an interval ranging from 1 minute to several minutes, the app abends with no message, error or anything. The app will restart without a problem, but then after several minutes will abend again.

How can I troubleshoot this to determine the root cause? Here is the terminal output.

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_ref: assertion `GST_CAPS_REFCOUNT_VALUE (caps) > 0' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_ref: assertion `GST_CAPS_REFCOUNT_VALUE (caps) > 0' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_fixed: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_set_caps: assertion `caps == NULL || gst_caps_is_fixed (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_fixed: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_empty: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_any: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_empty: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_any: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_copy: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed

(main.rb:6125): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_copy: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)' failed
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby4.rb:820: [BUG] Segmentation fault
    ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i486-linux]

Aborted

Re: Webkam abending, can anyone offer advice as to the cause

It seems to be gstreamer (audio) issues. Can you configure it to use another sound engine? Otherwise, I would see if I can either upgrade gstreamer, or perhaps see if there are gstreamer optional packages missing that you may be missing. Cheers!

Comment

Re: Webkam abending, can anyone offer advice as to the cause

You should not be running into "assertion" code. That is for debugging by programmers. The lasgt programmer to compile it probably forgot to set the debug var to false. THe most recent version of gstreamer is -0.10
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X