This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eventual Crash

Hello there, I'm having a problem with Kubuntu 6.06 final. The problem is that with repeated use of applications the system starts to crash slowly. For example, I was opening and closing Kate while editing some config files and after a while kate wouldn't start up again. Then the same thing happened to konqueror after opening and closing windows repeatedly when browsing my filesystem. In a different occasion it was adept. I'm at a loss to explain this and have no idea as to how to fix it. I've tried "killall -9 OffendingApp" and then trying to restart the application but it just won't go until a reboot is done. The problem always seems to stick around until rebooting. My system specs are:

AMD64 3700+
    2GB ram
    Asus A8N-E
    SATA HD
    Evga Nvidia 7900GT

Running:

Kubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 Final
    Nvidia Drivers installed
    Compiz and Compiz-kde installed
    libxine-extracodecs installed

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LJ

Re: Eventual Crash

UPDATE!!!!
    when the applications stop working (kate, konqueror, etc) and I try to start them up in the console this is the error message I get:

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
      Major opcode:  147
      Minor opcode:  3
      Resource id:  0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
      Major opcode:  147
      Minor opcode:  3
      Resource id:  0x0
    Failed to open device

I have a feeling it has to do with the Nvidia drivers, whenever I replace the nvidia xorg.config with the generic drivers xorg.config I can run for hours and no problems. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

LJ

Comment

Hmm, i don't think that output you got is the problem since i get the exact same output in the console whenever i start any program. I think everyone gets that output with the nvidia driver.
      I don't really know if this would make a difference, but try uninstalling compiz, that could be what's causing those lockups in the windows.

Comment

Thank you, I'll give it a try, see what happens...

Comment

Working...
        X