This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] karmic audio trouble

Interesting problem with audio on karmic. This is a 64-bit system I migrated from 64-bit JJ.
    I have both alsa and pulseaudio set up, and both are listed in SystemSettings>Multimedia.
    Neither works. If I try to test alsa, I get a message saying "alsa does not work, falling back to pulseaudio". If I try pulseaudio, nothing happens. The volume indicator in the volumecontrol>playback panel moves, but in the Volume Meter (playback) panel, it does not. None of the applications like Amarok or alsaplayer produce any audio.
    There is apparently no asoundconf command; if I type asoundconf, it says I need to install alsa-utils, but that is already installed, and reinstalling doesn't fix.
    Here's the kicker: the login and logout sounds work!

Are we going to get a karmic forum any time soon?

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: karmic audio trouble

Start alsamixer and make sure that all of your audio sources aren't muted. I ran into that with one of my systems after upgrading to the previous version.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: karmic audio trouble

Thanks for the tip. That's one of the first things I tried.
      Nonetheless, after today's updates, it's working now.
      Someone is watching... (thanks)

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [solved] karmic audio trouble

Hi,

Are you talking about the output device?
        My devices are a INTEL(ICH6) and Pulse Audio.

As backend i'm using Xine!

I can't understand why you've got alsa in the first place
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
        Release: 14.04
        Codename: trusty

Comment

Re: [solved] karmic audio trouble

I admit I am no expert on alsa, but:
          ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. It is a suite of hardware drivers, libraries and utilities which provide audio and MIDI functionality for the Linux operating system.
          from: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

As I understand it, ALSA is basically an i/o manager and driver system, not a device per say.
          It provides the interface between the kernel and your sound card.

A "device" in the unix world (and I am extrapolating to linux) is basically a table that points to a driver, that in turn invokes a series of modules to communicate between the kernel and a piece of hardware. Bottom line, without ALSA or some other manager/driver system, you don't talk to your sound card at all.

Hover your mouse over the "devices" listed in SystemSettings>Multimedia, and it will list the sound system each device is using.

Comment

Working...
          X