This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messages about faults

Hi. I'm thinking about some ways allow to receive messages of faults at boot,and information about new re(un)registered devices.it's very usefully,isn't it? Thanks for any answers.

Re: Messages about faults

Remove the "quiet" option at the end of the kernel boot line in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file -- shown below in red:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=2a5c02ca-bf06-4b1c-9f2c-ba0454bbc83b ro quiet splash

Comment

I did know about it,but i think that nobody look for boot time-and if it is usb device?for example, when i connect my moto cell like modem,i'm not receive any info about connection,and what dev link i need to use for one.

Comment

I'm talking about then system tell me about some faults and using dev links for hardware by x-window message.and for receive any info i need to search it in logs.

Comment

I think that this is not too hard for write a code for...but i'm not a programmer...make this like a once loaded code with chosing a level for showing info about some faults and problem with hardware with info about id,name,type ..etc. May be by reading the log. I'm just lirics.

Comment

After your system is booted and running, you can review the boot process, to look for hardware problems, with
            Code:
            dmesg
            However, I think maybe you are talking about devices connected to the USB. By design, USB is just a connection standard, not a full interface standard. The hardware and firmware on the device side of the USB can have "personality" characteristics, and maybe the drivers on the OS side of the USB can interface -- but maybe not. It depends on the OEM of the device -- whether he shared the interface specification.

Comment

And i think that you are agree with me about viewing this info under x-window like info message is more simply for users,and even me can find this info not such simply and my wife, beginer,can't at all.

Comment

And my opinion is this need to do without any searching in logs-it's the main problem for beginers who wants use linux. And system can and must to help users to decide any problems. I think so.

Comment

I think we agree, for the most part.

For the beginning computer user, I think it is not any harder to operate the computer with a Linux OS than it is for Windows or Mac. But, Linux is considerably more difficult to install, configure, and troubleshoot than Windows, for a lot reasons, mostly having to do with the fact that Windows strongly dominates the PC market, and that the hardware OEMs write their drivers first for Windows (and often stop there).

If Gnu/Linux developers decided it was important to build troubleshooting capabilities for beginners into the system, I'm sure they could do far better than the present sometimes-cryptic event logging. But, since time and resources are limited, and the advancement of hardware technology continues quickly, I think the focus will remain on adapting Gnu/Linux to new hardware, more than to new users.

Comment

Working...
                  X