This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused Newbie Here

I am sorta confused. I have Ubuntu 9.04 on a Live Disc and am now downloading Kubuntu 9.04 to put on a live Disc. Are these the same except one is Gnome and the other one is KDE . I am confused about the Kubuntu different versions too

Re: Confused Newbie Here

yep, they are the same, except Ubuntu is gnome, and Kubuntu is KDE.

If you are new to Linux, go with KDE 4.x.x, in my opinion, it is the future of KDE. Once KDE hit 4.2, it has been very stable for me, and much faster.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

To add a little to what muzicman0 said: They are pretty much the same, except for the default desktop, and the default suite of applications.

For instance, they will have different default video players and music players.

But, there's no reason you can't change that by installing whichever application you desire.

You can even have both the gnome and kubuntu desktops installed on the same system - so that you can choose which to use at login time. They are included in the kubuntu-desktop, and ubuntu-desktop packages.
      Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

muzicman0 = king of mostly right answers!
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
        X