This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Give my user root privileges

I'm taking bets on the hours before the reinstall. Any offers?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If you have to ask how to enable the root account you obviously are not qualified to make a knowledgeable decision as to whether or not you should. . Do yourself a favor and take the good advise you have been given.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        I'm taking bets on the hours before the reinstall. Any offers?
        HOURS?

20 minutes, tops. Who wants to tell him how to run the X server as root? That will speed up his learning experience.

Comment

Arch doesn't have a /root/.xinitrc - I _suppose_ you could copy the one from ~ over, stop kdm and do a startx. Suppose kubuntu doesn't have one either. Hang on, there is something in systemsettings, is there not!

Okay, Nub Slayer - here goes. I as everyone else in this thread have advised you against it because there is really no point whatsoever. This is Unix, it is a totally different philosophy and design - call it a mainframe system if you will. Not a poxy desktop. You don't ride a horse into the house, drink ethanol for fun or jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute. At least I don't. BUT, if you promise to count the minutes/hours/days until something "goes funny" AND more importantly, this install means nothing to you AND you wish to reinstall again anyway AND most importantly you want to see some betting then - and only then - either do the above or type:

Code:
          kdesu systemsettings
          Look for the login manager, you'll find login settings in there somewhere.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Arch doesn't have a /root/.xinitrc - I _suppose_ you could copy the one from ~ over, stop kdm and do a startx. Suppose kubuntu doesn't have one either. Hang on, there is something in systemsettings, is there not!

Okay, Nub Slayer - here goes. I as everyone else in this thread have advised you against it because there is really no point whatsoever. This is Unix, it is a totally different philosophy and design - call it a mainframe system if you will. Not a poxy desktop. You don't ride a horse into the house, drink ethanol for fun or jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute. At least I don't. BUT, if you promise to count the minutes/hours/days until something "goes funny" AND more importantly, this install means nothing to you AND you wish to reinstall again anyway AND most importantly you want to see some betting then - and only then - either do the above or type:

Code:
            kdesu systemsettings
            Look for the login manager, you'll find login settings in there somewhere.
            The forbidden instructions for all the world to see
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Code:
              kdesu systemsettings
              kdesu??
              You don't use kdesu, it isn't installed since Hardy. Kdesudo is the correct command.
              BUT for editing various things in System Settings, it will automatically prompt for the admin password when it is needed, no need to even open a terminal or alt-f2
              :P

Comment

Thanks for spotting that

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                  Code:
                  kdesu systemsettings
                  kdesu??
                  You don't use kdesu, it isn't installed since Hardy. Kdesudo is the correct command.
                  BUT for editing various things in System Settings, it will automatically prompt for the admin password when it is needed, no need to even open a terminal or alt-f2
                  :P

OK, we could forgive the first slip because it wouldn't work, but YOU have revealed the REAL hidden secret.... The only way to restore the community honor is for the offender to commit seppuku. Where's that knife....?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    OK, we could forgive the first slip because it wouldn't work, but YOU have revealed the REAL hidden secret.... The only way to restore the community honor is for the offender to commit seppuku. Where's that knife....?

Right here.

# make install --not-war

Comment

A fate worse than death.

Comment

Christ, and I thought it was a link to M$... Honestly, did any one of you have that info at your fingertips? I had to think about it first 'cos it never ever occurred to me that anybody would want it in the first place!

seppuku - what is my last wish, sushi?

Comment

Actually I would have said to edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and change line 255. To each his own.

Comment

A different solution for a different system - million ways to die, chose one of them

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                              Actually I would have said to edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and change line 255. To each his own.
                              Heh -- I didn't know that, but I see it now -- ouch!

Comment

fwiw - it is non-existent in ArchLinux. There is one in /usr somewhere, but nowhere near as long as that...

Comment

Working...
                                X