Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04? Repartition to EXT4? or Not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04? Repartition to EXT4? or Not?

Hello guys,

I'm using 8.04 with KDE3, I want to seek advice to whether upgrade to 9.04 & repartition to EXT4 or not

Clearly there has been a lot of improvement in the OS & it boots faster, there is also the new EX4 with better performance.

I mentioned in a post earlier that I've installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop but didn't like it (buggy & missing stuff) so I switched to Ubuntu 8.10 for my laptop.
    Meanwhile, my desktop still running the old trusty 8.04 with KD3.

I've read some posts here regarding people asking whether to upgrade to KDE4 or stay with KDE3 as for the old OS is concerned & found some trustworthy people happy with the KDE4 even in 8.10.

The improvement has been great in those last 6 months I have to say, just by trying the Beta version of 9.04, but is it the time to tell farewell to the KDE3?

Clearly I'll be aiming to a new fresh installation, since I'm transferring to KDE4 & repartitioning to EXt4. (at least that's what I believe unless someone suggests not to).

So what do you say, go for it?

Re: Upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04? Repartition to EXT4? or Not?

I installed 9.04 Beta three weeks ago on an ext4 partition, and see no evidence of problems with it. So that's one data point for you.

Comment

I have been using 9.04 with ext4 for some weeks and love it. It is possible to upgrade an ext3 filesystem to ext4 and directions are given here.
      http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-upg...isk/2009/04/21
      If you Google "ext3 upgrade ext4" you will find an IBM whitepaper with a good explanation of the differences.

Comment

Thank you for the reply guys

I think I'll be doing a fresh install, it just feels better than the upgrade of an old OS : P

Farewell KDE3.

Though there is a remix release of 9.04 with KDE3, but I think we shall move a long http://www.kubuntu.org/node/77

What do you know .. it has just been announced that 9.04 is out in the wild, congratulations ppl.

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.04-release

Comment

Glad I've already got mine. There are some busy servers already.

Comment

Thanks for the tip 0x00FE.
            Started mine and I'm getting good speed -- maybe the timing was just right (U. of Utah).

Sometimes I get the MD5SUM in one click, being at the right place at the right time.
            This time, it took awhile.

Here they are if anyone else is having to click around too much:

a292c1caaedb481db56462f16453c408 *kubuntu-9.04-alternate-amd64.iso
            a846a8059ebd37730f8b803e6cae9311 *kubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso
            798b8789af2f13bb9687b2ce57f25f9c *kubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso
            537a22de1342d5671b7e0070f66a6076 *kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

here:
            http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04/MD5SUMS

(Yes, guys, I know that's what Bookmarks are for... )

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

this ext4 wiki has a section explaining the upgrade steps.

given what's stated in the release notes, though, i would not use ext4 for anything important.

hth
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
              X