Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Java after searching and trying suggestions from other threads.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Java after searching and trying suggestions from other threads.

I have a bad habit of downloading things to the desktop so I can find them easily. Would that have anything to do with it?

Comment

Hey mondo_hacker are you up for a question tonight?
      harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Mando as in mandolin, not mondo. Always up for a question. Might even have an answer.

Comment

I work on a website doing maintenance and I use a web FTP to upload html and images. The host company is NetNation. When I went on the site tonight I clicked on the web ftp link and the java plugin will not load. Any ideas why that would be? I have been following all the stuff you have been talking about here and trying everything but still can't get it to work.
          harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Need some info. What web browser are you using? what java packages have you installed? Did you change anything recently?

Comment

Hi. Using Fire Fox 3.0.9. I have been adding Java packages all night from different info on the forums but no luck. Mostly Java 6. I don't know how to get a complete list of what I have . How do I do that?

Comment

dpkg -l
                will list all the installed packages.
                dpkg -l | grep java
                will show yousome of them.
                dpkg -l | grep sun
                will show you others.
                I think what you really want are
                sun-java6-bin
                sun-java6-jre
                sun-java6-plugin

Comment

Here's what I get when I put in dpkg -l | grep java and dpkg -l | grep sun :

harecanada@harecanada-desktop:~$ dpkg -l | grep java
                  ii ia32-sun-java6-bin 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (32
                  ii java-common 0.28ubuntu3 Base of all Java packages
                  ii libaccess-bridge-java 1.22.0-0ubuntu5 Java Access Bridge for GNOME
                  ii ooobasis3.0-javafilter 3.0.1-15 Java filter module for OpenOffice.org 3.0
                  ii sun-java6-bin 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
                  ii sun-java6-javadb 6-07-3ubuntu2 Java(TM) DB, Sun Microsystems' distribution
                  ii sun-java6-jdk 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
                  ii sun-java6-jre 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar

harecanada@harecanada-desktop:~$ dpkg -l | grep sun
                  ii ia32-sun-java6-bin 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (32
                  ii splix 1.1.1-0ubuntu1 Driver for Samsung's SPL2 (bw) and SPLc (col
                  ii sun-java6-bin 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
                  ii sun-java6-javadb 6-07-3ubuntu2 Java(TM) DB, Sun Microsystems' distribution
                  ii sun-java6-jdk 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
                  ii sun-java6-jre 6-07-3ubuntu2 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar

Does this shed any light?

Comment

mando_hacker
                    Am I keeping you up late? I tend to be a nighthawk these days.

Comment

Unless I missed it you do not have sun-java6-plugin installed. That is probably the problem.
                      sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin
                      then restart firefox and open aboutlugins to see if the javaplugin is loaded.

You are not keeping me up late yet. It is almost 10 PM here.

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you!!
                        I did sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin and then I tried the website I was having problems with and smiles.. it works! Thanks mando_hacker so much. I was going a little crazy trying to figure it out. I didn't understand what you meant by "restart firefox and open aboutlugins to see if the javaplugin is loaded" I can't find "aboutlugins. Where do I find that?
                        We are definitly in a different time zone. My time is 12:08 in the morning.

Thanks again eh. I really appreciate it. When there is more time I would like to ask you another question but for now the aboutlugins will be great.

Comment

Just type aboutlugins into the URL line of firefox and it will show you which plugins are installed. about:config is interesting also.

Comment

Great. How can I get a message to you re another question at another time?

Comment

Working...
                            X