Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Java after searching and trying suggestions from other threads.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Java after searching and trying suggestions from other threads.

Hi
    I have been trying to get java working for the last couple of days with no luck. So far, I have done the following:
    1. Manual install from java website. This appeared to be successful but actually wasn't.
    2. Trouble shooting from java website. Including enabling java in web browser (firefox) I wasn't able to clear the cache as per the instructions though because I couldn't find it.
    3. Searched forums here and tried the these commands in the terminal: sudo apt-get install java, sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras (a lot were installed before there was an error)

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin This one seemed to work. I ended up with a page of text about configuring java and the licensing agreement but it still didn't work. The java website tells me in the test that the java executable is not found.

Then I tried the code sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so This seemed to do what it was supposed to so I put in the next code (these two are from another thread) sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so and the following is what happened next:

/usr/lib/mozillaln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so': No such file or directory
    judi@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correctthe problem.
    judi@laptop:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
    No alternatives for java.
    judi@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install java
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correctthe problem.
    judi@laptop:~$ dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    judi@laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up java-common (0.30ubuntu3) ...

Processing triggers for man-db ...
    judi@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install java
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package java
    judi@laptop:~$

I also looked at Adept but wasn't able to do anything from there. I tried to find out about automatix as mentioned in another thread but didn't have any luck. The page seems to have moved.

If anyone can give me some very basic step by step instructions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Installing Java after searching and trying suggestions from other threads.

Follow the link in #9 in the "Top 20" (link in my signature) to install all of the multimedia stuff including java and its plugins.

Comment

Thanks for that.

"To enable Multiverse and Universe in Kubuntu, navigate to "KMenu > System > Adept" and launch it. On the menu of that application, navigate to "Adept > Manage Repositories" and enable the Multiverse and Universe repositories in the first tab. "

I only see "fetch package list", "apply changes" and "quit" No sign of "manage repositories" anywhere.

I followed the rest of your instructions and ended up with the error GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running?

Comment

At some point when you were installing the java packages the installation did not complete, which is why you had to run
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          After you did that yous hould repeat
          sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
          and make sure it completes without error. If that complete java will be installed and restarting firefox will get you a java plugin. If at that point it does not work we can begin to investigate what went wrong with the installation.

Comment

Version 8.10

Mando, I did repeat that command but still no joy.

Comment

So does that mean the packages installed but you still do not have java support in firefox, or that the packages did not install?

Comment

I think the first one.

judi@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                sun-java6-bin is already the newest version.
                sun-java6-jre is already the newest version.
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 278 not upgraded.

Comment

Right, they are installed and up to date. Now try this
                  sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin

Comment

Well that did something. I restarted the computer thinking that was it but it still doesn't work. Do you need me to run that command again so I can tell you what it says?

Comment

There should have been no need to restart the computer, but restarting firefox should have loaded the plugin and given you java support. You can check that by typing aboutlugins in the URL line. It should indicate libnpjp2.so with support for various java types. If it is not there it means that the plugin did not get to a directory from which firefox loads plugins. It is possible that your earlier "update-alternatives" put something out of wack but probably not.

If you run
                      dpkg -L sun-java6-plugin
                      it will list the contents of that package. There will be 6 or 7 plugins directories listed. One is probably
                      /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
                      ls -l /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
                      should show a listing that includes symbolic links pointing to the target file. This one probably points to /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
                      ls -l /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so probably points to
                      /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so, which is the actual file.

Comment

File name: libnullplugin.so This came up in firefox when I typed in aboutlugins. It is not enabled. In konqueror, it appears that it is all working but I don't know how long that has been the case for as I have just been checking firefox. I still need it in firefox though. I typed in the other commands you mentioned and it happened exactly as you said. What does it mean?

judi@laptop:~$ dpkg -L sun-java6-plugin
                        /.
                        /usr
                        /usr/share
                        /usr/share/doc
                        /usr/share/lintian
                        /usr/share/lintian/overrides
                        /usr/share/lintian/overrides/sun-java6-plugin
                        /usr/lib
                        /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons
                        /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
                        /usr/lib/firefox
                        /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
                        /usr/lib/iceape
                        /usr/lib/iceape/plugins
                        /usr/lib/iceweasel
                        /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
                        /usr/lib/mozilla
                        /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
                        /usr/lib/midbrowser
                        /usr/lib/midbrowser/plugins
                        /usr/lib/xulrunner
                        /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
                        /usr/share/doc/sun-java6-plugin
                        judi@laptop:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
                        total 0
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2009-04-18 18:58 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2009-04-19 13:02 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
                        judi@laptop:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
                        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 2009-04-19 13:02 /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Comment

It means you should smile. All that remains is to open preferences and enable java. So in Firefox Edit-> Preferences->Content Check Enable Java and you should be set.

Comment

It was already checked. But I can still smile. I think I will be able to do what I need with konqueror. Just some websites won't open with it which is why I downloaded firefox as well.

Thanks very much for your help. If you have any other ideas, I would like to try them but it is not critical.

Comment

I just noticed something. Earlier you looked in aboutlugins and did not have either the java or the flash plugin listed, even though they are both in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/. This is really strange, as Firefox should be loading any plugins in that directory.

Comment

Working...
                              X