• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum was done for several days

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    I sent the following email to the tech support for the host on 4/3/09:

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:10:33 -0500
    User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (X11/20090319)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    To: zbrantley@a-c-s-inc.com
    Subject: Kubuntuforums.net has been down all day.
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I can ping it but the index.php returns "Service Unavailable", and gives
    no other information.

What's the problem?

Jerry L Kreps
    a.k.a GreyGeek
    Never got a reply.
    GG
    You sent an email to the domain owner (Open Source), and he was away for a number of days, which is why you did not get a response. (I did finally get in contact with him today)

mando_hacker looked at the actual ip address for the forums, and found where the domain is hosted, and contacted them, which got us back up an running, yay!

Comment

Well done for getting the forum up again, is it true that runs on Windows?

Originally posted by mando_hacker
      It seems to have been a technical glitch that no one noticed. I filled out the contact form at http://www.smfforfree.com/ telling them it was down and asking if they knew if or when it would be back. They fixed it and thanked me for telling them it was down.

It seems like someone started this forum and is now otherwise occupied.

Comment

Unfortunately that does seem to be true. I hope no one tells.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
          Unfortunately that does seem to be true. I hope no one tells.
          That's probably why it went down, and why there have been uptime problems in the past.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The fact that this forums runs on a Windows server is one that's been known around here for a while. The consensus among established members the last time the discussion came up was pretty much "It would be cooler if everything ran on some flavor of linux, but the fact that Open Source is doing this out of pocket is cool enough so we shouldn't fuss". And to nip any of the "Well, we could donate and move it to a linux server!" suggestions in the bud, that idea leaves us open to problems, as we don't know that donations would keep coming, and then Open Source would be stuck with a different hosting package that may cost more than what he already has us set up on that he may or may not have budget to support. Besides, having gone through server changes in the past, both as the end user on a small community site, and as the person in charge of moving everything over from one server to another, let me tell you it's an annoying prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
              ...Open Source is doing this out of pocket is cool enough so we shouldn't fuss"...
              Ok, but who is "Open Source"?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The member who set up this forum for us. He comes and goes on being around the forum, as he seems to have a pretty active off-line life. I've heard mention of trips to a few different cool places just in the time I've been around.

I've only actually seen him pop up in a couple threads... but he seems a pretty nice guy, not even considering he's given us an awesome place to come together over what I consider to be my favorite OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                  The member who set up this forum for us. He comes and goes on being around the forum, as he seems to have a pretty active off-line life. I've heard mention of trips to a few different cool places just in the time I've been around.

I've only actually seen him pop up in a couple threads... but he seems a pretty nice guy, not even considering he's given us an awesome place to come together over what I consider to be my favorite OS.
                  Nobody knows his name or what he does for a living? Or, what it cost to support this forum?

Comment

Nobody knows his name or what he does for a living? Or, what it cost to support this forum?
                    The point being?
                    Please, let's not let this thread degenerate any.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                      The point being?
                      Please, let's not let this thread degenerate any.
                      No point, and certainly not a "degeneration". Just curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                      X