This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Auto Crash/Bug Report in 9.04

I've downloaded 9.04 Beta & testing it using VMware.
    I have to say am impressed by the work done in those six months since 8.10 which was released unfinished & with a lot of bugs.

Anyways,

In 9.04, when an application crashes it generates a bug report & I assume it uploads it to Launchpad.
    It then opens the web browser so you would login to your Launchpad account

My question is, if I do not have an account there or do not want to login, would the crash report still be submitted?

Cause you know, not all ppl would have an account there & then you would loose precious data of crashes from all around the world.

Re: Question about Auto Crash/Bug Report in 9.04

no, it would not be (afaik). You need to log in I think as the upload is just attached to the bug report. How would the bug triagers be able to ask for more information if you didn't have a user associated with the bug, for example? Crash reports sometimes don't contain anywhere near enough info as to what happened, and the bug tracker would then be clogged with un-verifiable, unanswered bug reports.

As Kubuntu, and Linux in general, is community driven, one of the tasks end users play in the process is reporting bugs. If one does not wish to log in to provide the needed info, that is OK.

Comment

Re: Question about Auto Crash/Bug Report in 9.04

Thanks for your reply.
      It's not that I do not want to provide info, it's the total opposite, I'd like to provide whatever help I can to push KDE forward.

I might be humiliating Linux if I compare it to Windows. But Windows' crash report utility it totally anonymous. (Though I dunno how useful that is!)

I think delivering the report is still essential, even without the extra info provided via the user.
      After all, any extra knowledge & statistics of the occurrence of the crash on multiple computers with just gathering the hardware info could reveal a bug associated withe a certain hardware for example.

Anyways, am sure the KDE team knows better than I do, so I'll leave it to them, but it's just an idea which I think is worth looking at.

Comment

Working...
      X