This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this supposed to be funny?

Wait.....8.10 is supposed to be a joke right? Am i the only one that found it funny?

Why is no one else laughing?

I just installed 8.10, I'm a long time user and supporter of kubuntu, but this time I'm determined to change. Just installed kubuntu, the installer UI lagged, but that was o.k.

After installing it, the first thing i see? a black and white login screen on top of a 5-minute photoshop job background. I mean, seriously, GET SOME ARTISTS, where did those kubuntu artists for dapper go? This background is pen tool + photoshop + gradient overlay + 5 minute job!

After logging in, guess what do you get? the 5 minute photoshop job, now in BLUE!!! woah!

Yeah, apart from the smooth fading effects. The taskbar appears, and the first thing I thought was "crap, did I accidentally put Windows Vista disk in stead of Kubuntu?"

After checking, no, it was the kubuntu disk, not windows vista.

Anyway, enough about KDE4. First thing, log in, all the yellow popups messages that are meant to appear above system tray icons .....appear stacked on top of each other in the top left corner. Anyway, click on konqueror, and it takes 10 minutes to start. My ethernet also seems to go slower than it should be, but the worst thing was installing proprietary ATI drivers.

That proprietary driver installer worked perfectly on dapper, but this time around, I give the EXACT same input 5 times : start program, wait for program to start, click in ATI FGLRX drivers, click Activate. I get TOTALLY different results each time. Sometimes the program just hangs and exist to desktop, sometimes it doesn't start and gets stuck on "scanning hardware packages", sometimes even got to "downloading" before stalling and not responding.

The default window theme looks like crap: Get artists guys. I'll volunteer as an artist! I'm no artist at all, but I'm better than whoever is doing the job right now!

Maybe half of that should've went to KDE4 forums instead of here, but I'm just unhappy about how Kubuntu is turning from a valid stable lots-of-hardware-support KDE environment to a useless lump of Vista.

Re: Is this supposed to be funny?

wait... this post is a joke right?

seriously, there are a ton of solutions for your problems.
    First, you can stop whining and just switch back to 8.04 with KDE3.5.
    Second, you can customize 8.10 to look and act the way you want it to. (Linux allows you to do that)
    Third, you can get active and start trying to help the people out who design and program for KDE and Kubuntu.

Sorry if this comes off a little harsh, but the rants are ridiculous when you have the freedom of choice.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Re: Is this supposed to be funny? will not upgrade again

I agree that Intrepid was lots of work to get it going, but I finally got everything to work the way it should, and I loved Dapper, no problems, I like Intrepid, but I will not upgrade again till they get it right, and I use Intrepid on 4 computers. I love Kubuntu very much, but not the new versions, I will wait until version 13 or 14 comes out then I will upgrade to Jaunty

Comment

Re: Is this supposed to be funny?

Originally posted by CVPunk
        wait... this post is a joke right?

seriously, there are a ton of solutions for your problems.
        First, you can stop whining and just switch back to 8.04 with KDE3.5.
        Second, you can customize 8.10 to look and act the way you want it to. (Linux allows you to do that)
        Third, you can get active and start trying to help the people out who design and program for KDE and Kubuntu.

Sorry if this comes off a little harsh, but the rants are ridiculous when you have the freedom of choice.
        I absolutely love kubuntu, but that's the reason why I'm whining

And yes, i can customise 8.10 to look the way i want it to, but I wished i could customise it to run the way i want it to.

And yes, I'm sure those problems can be solved, back in ubuntu 4.10 where I got a 320x200 resolution 256 colors, that could be fixed with a bit of hacking too. In fact anything in linux can pretty much be fixed if you spend enough time trying to fix it...but the point is dapper needed less fixing than this, so its a step backwards!

I look forward to a more stable and usable operating system in the next kubuntu release.

Comment

Working...
        X