X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two quickies

Two quick questions:

1.As I am not able to write programmes and things myself, do I need to have the deb-src bits in my /etc/apt/sources.list? It seems that I download and upgrade a lot of things which I am never going to use.

2.Could someone explain to me how to add a link by using this method. I'm sorry but I don't even know what you call this.(Hyperlink, perhaps?) It seems to be a lot neater to have a link using just one or two words than to include a huge httpblahblahblah thing in a post.

TIA for your help

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Two quickies

1. Having deb-src in your repositories doesn't, in anyway, affect what is installed on your system. Thing of the repositories as somewhat like an index/database which contains links to the different packages, but does not contain the packages themselves. Just because it's enabled/activated in your sources.list doesn't mean that those packages referred to by the repository is installed. Also, you can only upgrade what you have installed. For example, if you have not installed KOffice but have a repository for the latest version, it won't upgrade because there's nothing on your system to be upgraded.

Also, some of the things that you might think you won't be using but are installed when you download/install something from the repository might actually be a dependency, meaning that it might be needed by what you wanted to install in order for it to run.

2. Are you saying something like this: Kubuntu?
    Code:
    [url=website_address]link_name[/url]
    So the one I made looks like:
    Code:
    [url=http://www.kubuntu.org]Kubuntu[/url]
    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Jucato

1.Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will just leave the deb-src bits in my s/list.

2. Thank you, yes, that was exactly what I was trying to do.

You're a good man, I don't care what they say about you.

Cheers

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by lowey23
        You're a good man, I don't care what they say about you.
        What are they saying about me?!?!

Just kidding.
        Glad I could help.
        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Lowey! he wasn't supposed to know about those "things" :P

Actually, if you disable the deb-src lines, I think apt-get update (theoretically) should be quicker, because it has less release.gz and packages.gz files to download. I never I my deb-src enabled unless I need to build from source (or, perhaps I should say try to learn to build from source) or there is a patch that I like for a certain program.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
            Actually, if you disable the deb-src lines, I think apt-get update (theoretically) should be quicker, because it has less release.gz and packages.gz files to download. I never I my deb-src enabled unless I need to build from source (or, perhaps I should say try to learn to build from source) or there is a patch that I like for a certain program.
            The difference can be noticeable if you're not behind a fast connection...apt-get update downloads several Mbs (and disabling 'deb-src' repos cuts it in (about) half

Comment

Thanks for your replies, folks

I've disabled all deb-src lines in my sources.list, hopefully I won't do any damage to things and update a bit quicker. And I still haven't told anyone else about Jucato.

Again, thank you all for your help

Lowey

Comment

Working...
              X