Originally posted by stevek
    nope, that wasn't at you.
    # make install --not-war

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 will be

Oh, then just my paranoia

Comment

They may have been directed at me, and that's fine.

Here is a question I have then:

What part of Kubuntu belongs to KDE and what part is specifically Canonical?

The links posted were KDE specific, and I think there are tweaks and mods that might not be truly KDE based.

For example, I have a problem with the screen saver. It keeps coming on no matter what I do. I have everything I can find - screen saver, power management, display and the like - all set for 120 minutes, yet at around 20 minutes the screen saver always kicks in. Makes watching movies really painful. Who does that belong to? Maybe there is a setting I am missing. I was able to get the screen saver set properly in 9.04, but now in 9.10 I can't get it to work.

Also, the Konqueror setting of "open folders in new window" for the file browser has never worked in Kubuntu since going to KDE 4.0. However, in other posts - specifically one in the OpenSUSUE forum - the 'bug' was that every click on a folder resulted in a new window opening. Is that KDE or Kubuntu and OpenSUSE?

I'm guessing that if the bug is sent to the wrong team, it will be ignored.

Also, what constitutes an important bug? As just a regular user, how important are the things that don't work quite right for me to call bugs? For example, the clipboard problem - that is a legitimate concern for someone experiencing it, yet "not able to reproduce" makes it worthless to a developer. The regular user would really like that fixed, and I think this is where a more comfortable level of communication would be beneficial. I'm sure many bugs are configuration dependent, and without the coordination nothing happens.

I also think the release schedules are a factor. KDE 4.3.1 just released, and Kubuntu is still in alpha. I'm guessing that depending on the severity of the 'bug', fixes may or may not appear in both at the same time - so for example, if it is fixed in KDE, but Kubuntu doesn't incorporate the fix, what is the end user supposed to think?

I'm not saying this is happening, just that it is one more added confusion that the end user might experience.

As long as I am ranting again, I want to add one more. I've been involved with startups, and then big projects - and there is an inevitable attitude shift as the project grows.

At the beginning, if there is a problem, the user interacts with the developer, and the team is small enough that pretty much all the developers know who to talk to for a fix. As the project grows, different groups naturally emerge, and a line of responsibility emerges. If a user contacts the wrong person or team, the response I have seen has gone from "I'll send it up to Joe" to "You have to talk to the GUI guys." This new phenomenon I like to call "not my problem" syndrome.

It is easy to pass off the problem to someone else, yet it only adds to the confusion of the user. And sometimes this leads to the runaround. Kubuntu says it is a KDE problem, while KDE says it's a Kubuntu problem, and so on. It also tends to progress to "It doesn't happen on my system" and "it's a hardware problem."

All of this leaves the user frustrated, and harms the reputation of the project.

Comment

GreyGeek@ I understand your point of view, I have the same and I agree with you, but my wife has different opinion. I wanted to show her point of view. She is one of 75%.
          Remark to the end of your post:
          Only people I personally know here in Czech Republic that uses Linux are some professional administrators, students of informatics and computer sellers. Its too little to spread Linux elsewhere here and reach 50% of market neobuntu was talking about.
          I know you all on KubuntuForums do a great job for English speaking people and I appreciate it. But I don't see anybody like you around here in my town to help people personally.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
            But I don't see anybody like you around here in my town to help people personally.
            Maybe not in your town *physically* but they are here. Even if those you know personally aren't on linux, if they are interested, and have a PC, they can connect to and join KFN to ask questions and gather information.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are so many things being said here that really puzzle me. For example if you don't like one feature in one version but liked it in the other why not use the one you like!!! I just don't get it. I personally don't like KDE4.0 (my partner does though) I just use 3.5 instead. If I liked something else, I'd use that. I'm a grown person and I make my own decisions. I don't follow computing fashions and I choose to be both conservative and pigheaded when it comes to my own machines. I don't upgrade when I'm told and I don't do a lot of stuff when I'm told. This path is available to all who use Linux. I don't see the point in complaining about a bunch of stuff when I have (and exercise) such freedom. I know, freedom comes with a price, what else is new.

Regarding getting something done about the things we don't like:
              There are so many avenues of influence in Linux that it is hard to imagine someone feeling left out. What about getting involved with the new linux.org, what about joining a developers group and posting on their lists, what about joining the "bugs in one hundred paper cuts" where they are actually asking (right now!) for input on usability and small problems, what about the things that have already been mentioned. As a man with a keyboard and an internet connection I have never felt as empowered as I do in the linux world.

Comment

Each problem seems to be a reason to change operating system back to Windows.

Have you ever noticed that any problem with Linux is a reason to switch back to Windows, buy any problem with Windows is merely an act of God which cannot be avoided? (LT poster "Rainer" mentioned that observation!)
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Gwenview, DigiKam and GIMP are not her favourite Irfanview
                  I agree that Irfanview is an awesome little piece of windows freeware. Runs very well on my system via wine if that's any help, in fact the author advocates it.

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q47

Comment

Or, concider XnView
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It looks like somebody could be interested in solutions, even if I came with these problems for the other reason.
                      for character @ there is another shortcut in Linux than in Windows
                      right ALT+v
                      content of clipboard dissapears when you shut source before paste
                      learn do not shut
                      Kmail defaults are not the same as in Outlook Express, new part of a message is at the end instead of at the beginning of the message
                      change templates
                      OO Writer DOC loses page formatting
                      use ODT instead
                      Almost every option in OO Writer is on slightly different place than in Word
                      learn everything from the beginning
                      Gwenview, DigiKam and GIMP are not favourite Irfanview
                      install Irfanview using wine
                      Webcam driver needs to compile (and again with every kernel update)
                      do not upgrade blocked kernel updates, but there is a way to write script which can handle it.
                      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
                      X