X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash 10 question

My hardware and software info:

(First, check my .sig - it is up to date, I believe).

Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 - 64-bit, Flash 10 64-bit, KDE 4.2, Nvidia driver 180.29

I have encountered a flash 10 situation and I have not found the answer yet. I did try searching the forum, the Ubuntu forum and then I googled.

What happens is that not all Flash sites work. I try some videos that are Flash and they won't play. It starts but is immediately a black screen. Yet, other Flash videos work (e.g. YouTube and some other sites). I try the Adobe (check your Flash version) and it works - detects Linux version of Flash 10, 64-bit.

So, I am perplexed so I decide to test in Windows. I fire up XP and try it. It works on those sites that didn't work in Kubuntu. I also try a Mepis partition. The same sites don't work.

Anyone know what's going on? I thought maybe those sites have something that allows only Flash to work in Windows. Flash 10 is installed and it's 64 bit and other sites work but some don't. I have no other theories and I couldn't find anything that matched my situation. I assume that this situation exists with other users but no one has posted yet or that I just haven't found those particular posts. Flash is so common and I cannot find any setting that I need and why would anything be different for some sites but not others? Therefore, the only conclusion I can think of is that there is something different regarding the Flash on those sites - something Windows-related or centric.

I am just curious and if there is a solution to fix it so I can watch the Flash videos in Linux, I would like to do it.

If not and there's no fix, I am just wondering what those sites did.

Re: Flash 10 question

Firefox asumed:

I have come across sites that don't respond (more commonly with mplayer) in kubuntu but work in Windows. It's a bit of a pain.

Install user agent switcher (it's in the repos). Once installed you will find it in Firefox under tools. With this you can fool the site into thinking you are running IE7 under vista and it might work.

If you are using Konqueror, spoofing should be available by default (browser ID I think they call it).

Sometimes when I encounter this I will boycott the site out of principle.Other times I just can't. See if that works for you.

Comment

Hi, I had a problem with flash on some sites too so I de-installed the Kubuntu version and downloaded directly from Adobe and it worked a treat after that.

They have a deb package so no problem!.

Regards Stephen

Comment

I'm having yet ANOTHER Flash 10/YouTube problem in Kubuntu so I guess I'm going to leave it alone for a while.

TG, I quadruple boot.

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
          I'm having yet ANOTHER Flash 10/YouTube problem in Kubuntu so I guess I'm going to leave it alone for a while.
          Are you sure you have the 64-bit version of Flash installed? If you install the "flashplugin-nonfree" package on 64-bit Kubuntu, I believe you get the 32-bit version with "nspluginwrapper" to make it run on 64-bit Linux. The native 64-bit Flash plugin is not at final release yet.

Having said that, I am having a similar problem on 64-bit Kubuntu (Jaunty). I installed "flashplugin-nonfree" and certain sites or videos don't work such as this trailer. The same video works perfectly on 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 so I can only assume it has something to do with running Flash under "nspluginwrapper". Anyone know of problems with this configuration?

Comment

Hi, I had several troubles and finally just execute the script given in:

Code:
            http://www.hildoersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:adobe-flash-10-for-ubuntu-desktop-32bit-and-64bit&catid=39:multimedia&Itemid=59
            and my youtube is working perfectly now.

maybe it could be of help.

best,
            g.
            ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

I think bug 178038 might be related. In any event, I worked around it on my system by removing "flashplugin-nonfree" and installing the 64-bit Flash plug-in from Adobe Labs. Although it's a prerelease, it seems very stable. No problems at all in the three weeks since I installed it.

Comment

well, used to work perfectly. I got crash sometimes with firefox (but not with konqueror)

Code:
                dmesg | grep segfault
                [ 1616.067493] npviewer.bin[5590]: segfault at ff9bea2c ip 00000000ff9bea2c sp 00000000ff948c0c error 14
                best
                g.
                ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

Working...
                X