X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with Krapbuntu

I'm done with this POS OS.

How can they allow a video driver to wipe out sound?!? What a POS!

Re: Done with Krapbuntu

Please do everyone a favor, then, and politely opt out of KFN. Nobody forced you to try/use Kubuntu. If you are finding it 'not your cup of tea' then try another. But please, and I do mean please, just walk away.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I thought I'd try Kubuntu again, but HOLY CRAP I think I'm having the same problem. I can get sound as root, so it's some kind of permission problem. I usually fix this by by joing the "audio" group, but that hasn't worked. In fact, I've joined every group there is in my kuser dialogue and I'm not getting any sound. THIS! > IS! > NOT! > MY! > CUP! > OF! > TEA! >

This was KDE 4.1.4. Every KDE desktop that I try, including KDE3 all of a sudden, is profoundly f'ed up in a completely different way. Ah well, I know it'll work itself out in the end, but jeez, I can't stand this any more.

Comment

Mint.
        Reliable word has it to me that Mint just works, in so many commercial ways.
        But I agree with Snowhog -- try another. Just for the heck of it, the fun of it. Start with Mint.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Please do everyone a favor, then, and politely opt out of KFN. Nobody forced you to try/use Kubuntu. If you are finding it 'not your cup of tea' then try another. But please, and I do mean please, just walk away.
          Dito....

Comment

Going with Opensuse, that's always worked great for me though I would have preferred to have a Debian. Might have tried mint but I've already downloaded my opensuse disk. I consider opensuse to be a sure thing, and a sure thing is all I can handle right now. Sorry about the outburst. This will be my fourth install in three days.

Comment

I've had good results with DreamLinux. Not a KDE DT, but an XFCE. Still good though!

Comment

Originally posted by blackbelt_jones
                Going with Opensuse, that's always worked great for me though I would have preferred to have a Debian. Might have tried mint but I've already downloaded my opensuse disk. I consider opensuse to be a sure thing, and a sure thing is all I can handle right now. Sorry about the outburst. This will be my fourth install in three days.
                Give sidux a try. Or Mepis. I think they are good distros and are debian-based.

They are both KDE although still using KDE 3.5.10.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                  I've had good results with DreamLinux. Not a KDE DT, but an XFCE. Still good though!
                  Interesting. I prefer the option of a 64-bit distro, though.

Btw, I apologized to an admin for my outburst. I also hope regulars will realize that I regret my rant/outburst and even asked if the post could be deleted. I regret letting my frustration getting the best of me although I still have some reservations and complaints about the *ubuntus but that doesn't excuse useless rants which don't accomplish much.

I have been told the sound problem might be the result of a bug when upgrading the kernel. If the 'fix' works for me, I will post the solution (unless someone beats me to it). I would rather see if it helps than give anyone false hopes. It does regard the kernel upgrade to 2.6.27-11-generic, though. I open alsamixer in a terminal and see if muting one of the channels restores the sound. Not sure if it will work ,though, but I will try it. Nothing to lose, really.

Comment

Comment

mmm... it looks like YMMV...

Every since I first saw KDE 1.0 beta, on SuSE 5.3, in September of 1998, I knew I had found a replacement for Win95. As it turned out, KDE 2 and 3 were excellent alternatives to Win98, NT4, Win2K and XP. KDE 4 came out about the same time as VISTA. Both had a rocky start, but KDE 4.1.2 and higher has been wonderful for me on my laptop. VISTA, on the other hand, popped a BSOD on it.

I just installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my 2nd laptop, a four year old Gateway m675prr.

The KDE 4.1.3 fit was perfect! It is VERY fast! The accelerated video and beautiful display featuring "Fields of Peace" wallpaper, the gorgeous sound emanating from my four speakers... I couldn't be happier. Neither could my son, to whom I gave that laptop to replace his 7 or 8 year old Compaq Presario 1500.

I am currently running Mandriva 2009 PWP on this Sony VAIO FVG 140E/HD and it is performing marvelously. But.... I am tempted to replace it with Kubuntu.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Locking this, "I'm leaving" posts are both useless and silly, especially as everyone is welcome here, even if they don't use Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                        X