This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, is this a mistake?

Isn't Hardy support supposed to extend to 2011?

[img width=400 height=327]http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh433/blackbelt_jones_screenshots/snapshot9.png[/img]

Re: Hey, is this a mistake?

[img width=400 height=184]http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh433/blackbelt_jones_screenshots/snapshot91.png[/img]

Comment

I think this is referring to KDE 3.5.x, not Kubuntu 8.04.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005960

***But let me add, that this article might be somewhat inaccurate... I seem to recall a whole lot of discussion on this issue and I really don't recall how it all ended.***

Kubuntu's Hardy Heron Won't Have The Long-Term Label
        December 27th, 2007 by Justin Ryan

The KDE-branch of the Ubuntu family is all atwitter this week, with the announcement that Kubuntu 8.04 — better known as Hardy Heron — won't be designated as a "Long Term Support" or "LTS" release by the powers-that-be at Canonical.

The decision — and the resulting backlash — centers around the release of KDE 4, currently in beta, and it's proximity to the release of Kubuntu 8.04 in April 2008. Apparently, Canonical is concerned that KDE 4 won't be mature enough — it will only have been in stable release for about three months when Hardy Heron is released — to be included in a version earmarked as "Long Term Support." LTS releases are guaranteed support for three years on the desktop, and five on the server, meaning that any problems that are fixed in future releases would continue to haunt Canonical into 2013.

No word was given on what will be the next LTS release for Kubuntu, but the announcement did reveal that Hardy Heron will ship with the opportunity to use either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.

Comment

Thanks kjjjjshab, I'd forgotten about that.

Comment

Actually I read somewhere that Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 should be supported till October 2009... I guess just after the JJ's successor is released...
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I should also say that the LTS issue was just for the KDE packages, I think... all the kernel updates, etc. should still keep coming, after all those are just vanilla ubuntu repos...

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                I should also say that the LTS issue was just for the KDE packages, I think... all the kernel updates, etc. should still keep coming, after all those are just vanilla ubuntu repos...
                That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                  http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005960

***But let me add, that this article might be somewhat inaccurate... I seem to recall a whole lot of discussion on this issue and I really don't recall how it all ended.***

Kubuntu's Hardy Heron Won't Have The Long-Term Label
                  December 27th, 2007 by Justin Ryan

The KDE-branch of the Ubuntu family is all atwitter this week, with the announcement that Kubuntu 8.04 — better known as Hardy Heron — won't be designated as a "Long Term Support" or "LTS" release by the powers-that-be at Canonical.

The decision — and the resulting backlash — centers around the release of KDE 4, currently in beta, and it's proximity to the release of Kubuntu 8.04 in April 2008. Apparently, Canonical is concerned that KDE 4 won't be mature enough — it will only have been in stable release for about three months when Hardy Heron is released — to be included in a version earmarked as "Long Term Support." LTS releases are guaranteed support for three years on the desktop, and five on the server, meaning that any problems that are fixed in future releases would continue to haunt Canonical into 2013.

No word was given on what will be the next LTS release for Kubuntu, but the announcement did reveal that Hardy Heron will ship with the opportunity to use either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.
                  Dear God, you're kidding. But Kubuntu Hardy doesn't use KDE4 as default, so I don't see how this is applicable.

When I complained about KDE 3 being dropped for Intrepid, some people actually told me that Hardy was a long term release, therefore I would still have the option of using KDE 3 for a few years. I've started using KDE4.2, so it's no skin off my nose, but if this story has been making the rounds, I think we can count on some really angry people come October. I don't understand this at all, but I'm not the one you're going to have to explain this to. KDE4 is turning out to be great software, but the horribly mismanaged Public relations never ends.

You know, I just thought of something. There's a Vanilla version of KDE 3 for Ubuntu Hardy that's separate from kubuntu-desktop. Users should have the option of running KDE3 in Ubuntu for the whole life of the Ubuntu Hardy. Which is nice, because even though I usually run KDE4 now, I'd like to retain the option.

Comment

No, Kubuntu Hardy was never an LTS release ((see the original announcement from December 2007). Canonical is the the one that made that decision.

The underlying OS (kernel, core libraries, etc ) is still covered by LTS, it is just the Kubuntu-specific part that isnt, and has the normal 18 month support cycle

And do remember that LTS pretty much just covers security updates. So pretty much unless there are security fixes for KDE3.5.10 after October, (I assume this is highly unlikely) you probably won't see those in Ubuntu, but kernel , server, and other 'invisisble' things still have those fixes for the full 3 years

Ubuntu does have KDE packages, they are created by the Kubuntu packagers, and are the exact same ones used in Kubuntu. You can install slightly different amounts of KDE just as you can in Debian. Kubuntu-desktop is just a package that sets up which programs and default settings (such as themes, etc) are used by default, that's all.

Ubuntu , a Gnome-centric distro, does not have the KDE-based manpower to support both KDE3 and KDE4, and chose to go with KDE4. Kubuntu would welcome volunteers to support KDE3 beyond Hardy, but sadly it's not there. (and yes, I know about the existing work on this from outside, but that person seems to want to go it completely alone and not seek assistance and guidance from the devs)

Finally, unfortunately you can't always assume what you find out there in forums, etc information-wise is both current and accurate. I know I am accurate, but am I 100%? and how would you know if I am right or mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                      Finally, unfortunately you can't always assume what you find out there in forums, etc information-wise is both current and accurate. I know I am accurate, but am I 100%? and how would you know if I am right or mistaken?
                      Through time spent in this excellent Forum, and from personal experience. Claydoh, you are truly one of the 'gems' scattered about KFN. I thank you for all the support, information and clarification you bring to everyone here.

Comment

Working...
                      X