Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some quirky KDE behavior... can you help me out?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some quirky KDE behavior... can you help me out?

I've been experiencing some weird behaviors in KDE. Some of them ever since I installed Kubuntu, and some (or at least one), after upgrading to KDE 3.5.2. Can you help me sort them out if it's a bug or I'm just doing something wrong.

1. KMix Master Volume is not the master
    Changing the master volume slider in KMix has no effect. Only when I move the PCM slider does the volume change.

2. KHelpCenter only searches the Unix manuals: I've built and index for the Applications Manual, but whenever I search, it only searches the Unix manual. So if I search for "konqueror", only the man page for konqueror appears.

3. KDE 3.5.2 Network Settings crashes when you click on Configure Interface.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on these things.
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Some quirky KDE behavior... can you help me out?

(1) If you move the PCM slider to the top the master slider will control the volume.
    (2) I seem to recall that it took several tries to build the index. It was long enough ago, however, that I don't remember how I did it. The index appears in ~/.kde/shar/apps/khelpcenter/index/ I suspect that what I did was to delete an existing fiile (probably one named "Kde_application_manuals.exists"), but I don't really remember.
    (3) Doesn't crash for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
      s.

3. KDE 3.5.2 Network Settings crashes when you click on Configure Interface.

I had the same when i tryed to change my wireless the first time after boot.

After a consule edit of /etc/network/interfaces it was gone.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I hate to sound a bit stupid, but...

@askrieger:
        1. How do I put the PCM over the Master? But anyway, I just find it really weird that the Master volume isn't really the master at all.
        2. I deleted the whole index folder, but no luck. It must be something I installed or did before. I think I installed a package htdig before because it asked for it when I was building an index.

@awakatanka: what do I have to edit there?
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

What I meant to say was to set the PCM to 100%. Then set the master slider to a reasonable walue. Now, you can use the Kmix application in the system tray (the little blue loudspeaker) to control the volume from your speakers.

Comment

Oh I see. I've already set the PCM to 100%, but moving the master volume doesn't do anything. Oh well... maybe it will be better in Dapper.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Just to update:

1. I have found a solution for problem #1. Right-click on the KMix icon, choose the option to select which channel should be master, then choose the appropriate channel, which in my case was PCM.

2. Still have no idea

3. Still no idea. Also discovered that Kopete also crashes whenever I click on "Configure". Only started happening after upgrading to KDE 3.5.2

I'd like to add a number 4, but this problem has been with me since 3.5.0
              4. Previews - some you see, some you don't. PDFs, videos, or HTML. Some of the icons for these file types correctly display the preview image, some don't. Is this normal, too?
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
              X