X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.x still beta IMO!!!!

Originally posted by dragon76
    I do and will continue to use Kubuntu and try to contribute as much as possible. I think that kde 4.2 will be a very important milestone, and that 4.3 will most likely return kde to it's former status as king of the DE's as far as my personal use is concerned.
    As I questioned in the first post.... What are your thoughts?
    I think "user experience" is one of the important factors. KDE 4 desktop is much slower than KDE3 even on my brand-new desktop computer (good cpu, video card and plenty of mem). However, the main effort is put into feature-completeness and the speed optimization would only be done in a much later stage. IMO KDE4 is good-designed but bad-implemented.

F/OSS developers likes reinventing the wheel, and (sadly) that is the truth. KDE4 is one of the examples, it re-writes most sources and reuses only a small part of KDE3 code. That is the reason KDE4 so unstable now, there's no doubt KDE4 will be stable, but that takes time and effort.

Anyway, the problem may not just be KDE4, I suspect we may encounter similar problems for some other open-source softwares . i.e. when the author of the open-source software changes and the development team decides to abandon old code and create something new, it would make many current users unhappy. That may be the price we have to pay for, if we choose to use open-source software.

The above may be a reason why F/OSS developers likes reinventing the wheel, since "if I don't develop for myself, my favorite software may be abandoned or replaced someday. then I should create a new project for my own, which will last forever, when I'm alive."

Obviously, some of the old advanced KDE3 users will leave KDE family when he sees the badly implemented KDE4, and create his own desktop applications. When F/OSS remains about "the choice", we cannot avoid reinventing the wheel at all.

Comment

Re: KDE 4.x still beta IMO!!!!

If the FOSS was round and perfect there would be no reason to do anything with it. It isnt. Thats why we need to keep improving it...constantly. There will never come a day when the wheel is so perfect even touching it will make it less perfect.

Comment

Working...
      X