This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux

I guess im going back to windows. I have been trying to run Linux since red hat in about 1996. If you ever get a working version I would love to try it but so far every version fails. I dont have time to spend days or weeks searching for the fix or help on these forums. I have spent the last week downloading and installing the latest versions as well as trying some of my older versions.
    Suse kind of worked, but I just spent the last 5 hours trying to install a printer. In windows Its a wireless network printer. I load the disk, tell it were its at and Im done. Linux cant find it on the network. None of the versions I have had will work. Finally I plugged it in on a usb cable. Suse found it but refuses to install it. It says I have to select a driver. It cant find a driver. The printer came came with linux drivers but linux refuses to use them. I told linux to use the driver anyway but it refuses to put in the driver list and I cant go on.
    Im tired of spending hours and hours and even days, on simple problems. This stuff just works on windows. On Linux it seems to be an unsolvable problem. On windows I connect the device load the disk and im done! I hate windows and I really wish to run linux, but I need to have version that works. I have tried red hat, mandrake ,icepack , ubuntu, kubuntu, and now suse. I have been trying them since the mid 90s. I really hate windows. I would really like linux, if it would just work!!!
    clemm@cableone.net

Re: Linux

How much "under the hood" experience do you have working with a PC? By that, I mean, do you consider yourself a "turn key" operator, or are you able to "work under the hood"? In almost all cases, solutions to perceived problems in Linux have solutions. In my experience, the "real" problem is in not being able to correctly describe the problem, or in a lack of properly identifying the problem.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had the opposite experience. Installing a simple printer that took 3 minutes on PCLinuxOS took me a hour away in windows aqd it still is not installed.
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Well OP, I can sympathize with you a little bit. It's true that moving to Linux can offer unexpected challenges. Even so, I have not yet found a problem in Linux that was unsolvable. If you run into a problem, odds are very good that someone else has already solved it, or at least found a work around. I'm still amazed at myself when I sometimes learn the cause of these problems was not Linux, but merely my own wrong headed approach to them.

If you bought a printer that came with non-working drivers, then I'd say that's a problem for the manufacturer to solve. You may take it for granted that the Windows drivers just work, but the truth is that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers have gone through many generations of driver models to arrive at that level of functionality. There have been more failures along the way than most people like to think about.

Since you say you want something that just works, I don't understand why you're so dead set on Linux. As most Linux users already know, you must be willing to put some time into learning how to properly maintain your Linux system to get the most out of it. Really, the same is true of Windows as well as any other OS, but Linux is a bit more challenging.

Perhaps you'd be happier with a Mac. Generally speaking, Mac has less freedom, but requires less thinking about how to do tasks because there are only a few ways to do any particular task. If you want your computer to be simple, that's probably the way to go.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by clemm17

I have spent the last week downloading and installing the latest versions as well as trying some of my older versions.
          Interesting approach.

Yep, sounds like Windows is the OS for you.

Comment

Printer. Make? Model?

Someone gave me a Lexmark, because new ink cartridges cost more than the printer. It works with Windows but with Linux it is a paperweight. The ink cartridges are made to be replaced and not refilled. They come with a spoonful of ink, so you can try them out and be tempted into buying. I drilled and filled them, but it forever says it is out of ink when it is clearly not.

Maybe, just maybe, the "problem" is with the printer and not Linux
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I would say that if you have a printer that is properly supported by Linux then installation is far easier than it is with Windows.

I have a cheap Epson DX4400 - what a rigmarole setting up in Windows what with this utility and that utility it wanted to install. In 'buntu 8.10 connect it, detect it and install it. Done! It didn't work at all in 8.04 though so the moral is have the latest linux version but give the developers time to figure out how to support a piece of kit.

A arochester says to comment meaningfully we would need to know the make and model. We could then tell you whether or not it is supported.

Comment

Took quite awhile to get XP to see and work my HP5650 (XP handled it "roughly," spinning off some crazy error box each time, long story that no one had an answer to at the time). However, in Kubuntu, it has always just worked (just one minor issue in 6.04, but it was resolved).

I sometimes wonder about some of the issues in Kubuntu, the tweaking, the testing. But what I really wonder about is the amazing amount of effort people expend to acquire ($$$) Windows, install it, adjust it, and decipher all those cryptic error messages (Event Log, kb articles--circular logic mazes), restrictions on where one can use their Windows CD, WGA, security headaches--a very serious issue, etcetera's galore... You gotta really WANT Windows to go through all that, AND have the $100 (OEM)-$250 in your pocket to boot (literally)--pay-and-play.

What's really amazing, is that this issue keeps coming up here at the forum. You get tired of reading these posts.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by clemm17
                  I guess im going back to windows. I have been trying to run Linux since red hat in about 1996. If you ever get a working version I would love to try it but so far every version fails. I dont have time to spend days or weeks searching for the fix or help on these forums. I have spent the last week downloading and installing the latest versions as well as trying some of my older versions.
                  Suse kind of worked, but I just spent the last 5 hours trying to install a printer. In windows Its a wireless network printer. I load the disk, tell it were its at and Im done. Linux cant find it on the network. None of the versions I have had will work. Finally I plugged it in on a usb cable. Suse found it but refuses to install it. It says I have to select a driver. It cant find a driver. The printer came came with linux drivers but linux refuses to use them. I told linux to use the driver anyway but it refuses to put in the driver list and I cant go on.
                  Im tired of spending hours and hours and even days, on simple problems. This stuff just works on windows. On Linux it seems to be an unsolvable problem. On windows I connect the device load the disk and im done! I hate windows and I really wish to run linux, but I need to have version that works. I have tried red hat, mandrake ,icepack , ubuntu, kubuntu, and now suse. I have been trying them since the mid 90s. I really hate windows. I would really like linux, if it would just work!!!
                  clemm@cableone.net
                  Honestly, that is your problem, then. If you don't have time, you won't get anywhere. I understand your frustration. Unforunately, I have not been able to 'hold it back' and have also 'voiced' my frustration at times on the forum. But, I don't mean to annoy anybody.

For you, I think you need to figure out what time you are willing to spend on it and then you need to go about finding quality time. You need to know how to 'google' the info you need. This might sound silly but it's true. Try to be as specific as possible when there's an issue or problem and google it. I think if you couldn't search especially via google these linux problems, I would have given up long ago and probably many other people. The forums are great, too, and if you can calm down or try to be as specific as possible with a problem, there are people who are interested in helping.

Another poster also made a good point. Describe the specific problem but also give specifics on hardware. Drivers, chipsets and how they related to Linux can be really important. Also, a lot of hardware have drivers that have licensing issues and are considered part of the 'non-free' section. Did I express that accurately/correctly?

For your printer, you would want to google the exact name of it, + 'linux' or a distro, say 'kubuntu' and see what you get. I also suggest trying to stay with one distro for a little while and have the issue relating to that distro. I suggest Kubuntu, Mepis or Debian for a distro to try if you decide to give it one last shot. Windows is good because most hardware components have drivers made FOR it and the 'Windows way' tries to solve problems for you but that is said to take away your control. Sometimes, it turns out to be a good thing, sometimes not.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say 'I feel your pain.' but I don't see how you can jump into linux without knowing how to 'research', search for info and teach yourself it since it can be too complicated if you are unable to find the right info.

Comment

Linux is NOT Windows should be required reading for all Windows users considering Linux.

The How to Get Help article pretty much covers most of what has been said here so far.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Telengard, nice links, duly copied to my list of references to better help people in the future

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

...kind of drifting away from the original post...

But I quite like Ubuntucat's/Pschocats' "Getting the Best Help on Linux Forums"at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...-linux-forums/
                        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                        X