This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from Hardy - to what/or not?

I've been running Hardy for some time and am quite happy with it, though I'm starting to feel the need for newer apps (OO.org 3.0, GNS3 v0.6, etc..) which aren't being updated in Hardy by default. Although I have a free partition to run two systems side-by-side, my reluctance to shutdown/reboot makes this solution a no-solution. Which is why I need all my critical requirements to work. Looking at the possibilities, there are 3 options:
    • add hardy-backports repository to apt sources keep on rolling with no interruptions
    • go with Intrepid. I installed Intrepid on the other partition and let me just say that the included KDE4.1 just doesn't cut it yet. (too many problems with external monitor made it unusable)
    • go with Jaunty. Tried the Alpha3 yesterday and multi-monitor in KDE 4.2 seems to work somewhat, although the desktop isn't being resized when the resolution changes.
    [br]
    I'd like to know the experience others have with
    • using backports - is it as stable as main/multiverse repositories? Any chance of breaking the system?
    • KDE3 on Intrepid - I read some topics from july/august last year. which seemed to imply that KDE3 is unsupported/won't be available - is anyone running this? How well does it work? (The only KDE apps I use extensively are Kopete, Krusader and Konsole, I use some of the others but not extensively enough to refuse to switch.
    • running jaunty on stock intel hardware (C2D, GM965, 3945ABG) - any obvious regressions? No problems with WiFi/graphics etc.?
    [br]
    Oh, and the requirements I mentioned earlier:
    • external outputs and changing desktop size definitely needs to work. Intrepid with KDE 4 kept flashing the VGA output for some reason = unusable. I can live with using only one monitor at a time, I can't live with VGA out not working properly. (The GUI tools for this don't work for me even in KDE3, so I learned xrandr - no problem if at least that works)
    • GUI WiFi management - the Knetworkmanager was not exactly as smooth as I'd expect in Intrepid upon release, though I haven't tried it since - any problems now?
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Re: Switching from Hardy - to what/or not?

I'd suggest waiting until January 29th, when KDE 4.2 will be released. I'd then recommend downloading Intrepid 8.10 w/KDE 4.2 when it's available as a LiveCD and giving it a go. This is always the preferable way to test the new stuff.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I just spent some time reading through the "KDE 4 is killing Kubuntu for me" topic and things with KDE 4.1 apparently aren't smooth. [br]
      In retrospect, I don't quite see why Kubuntu decided to go with KDE4 from the start. Ubuntu burned itself with Pulseaudio in 8.04, learned from that experience and postponed OO.org 3.0 in 8.10. I was under under the impression Kubuntu was also going for the "not screaming new, but solid" approach. *sigh*
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

I'm on 8.10 w/KDE 4.1.4. I don't have any problems with it (well, one or two very minor annoyances, but no problems).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by myxal
          I've been running Hardy for some time and am quite happy with it, though I'm starting to feel the need for newer apps (OO.org 3.0, GNS3 v0.6, etc..) which aren't being updated in Hardy by default. Looking at the possibilities, there are 3 options:
          • add hardy-backports repository to apt sources keep on rolling with no interruptions
          [br]
          I'd like to know the experience others have with using backports - is it as stable as main/multiverse repositories? Any chance of breaking the system?
          My advice is to keep with Hardy until Hardy+4, i.e. Kubuntu 10.04, you will be seamlessly updated to Kubuntu 10.04 and that should give you a decent KDE4.

For backports, it is very stable and should always be switched on. I have been using the backports since 7.04.

For the new apps, if your work is critical I see little reason to use the bleeding edge apps since they're not tested by the most powerful tester: time.

Anyway, you're free to install any new apps from source. For example, I use vim7.2 which isn't available in 8.04 and 8.10, I downloaded the source and compile it, which installed to /usr/local and will never have problem with the version installed by ubuntu.

I can even compile my own KDE 4.2 in Kubuntu 8.04, which works great. For OpenOffice or some other stuffs, they should have pre-compiled binary, and you are free to download them and install them in your Kubuntu 8.04.

Try to compile applications or download binary distributions yourself, and you'll know what is the word "freedom" for better.

I don't think there's a need to release every 6-month but if someone need, just let them go. I'll keep to the 2-year LTS release since 2006 and so far I'm very glad with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
            My advice is to keep with Hardy until Hardy+4, i.e. Kubuntu 10.04, you will be seamlessly updated to Kubuntu 10.04 and that should give you a decent KDE4.

For backports, it is very stable and should always be switched on. I have been using the backports since 7.04.

For the new apps, if your work is critical I see little reason to use the bleeding edge apps since they're not tested by the most powerful tester: time.

I don't think there's a need to release every 6-month but if someone need, just let them go. I'll keep to the 2-year LTS release since 2006 and so far I'm very glad with it.
            Thanks for posting this. I have been a Kubuntu user since 5.04 and have studiously upgraded every release up to 8.04. I purposely sat out the 8.10 upgrade thinking that KDE4 was still way too immature. I'm still on the fence about going to Jaunty and, in addition, the massive upgrade every six months is getting a bit much - x2 since I've got 2 machines. I've used backports religiously and have never had an issue from it so sticking with LTS may just be the ticket for me.
            Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

Working...
            X