This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'd like to see in Kubuntu

I would like (love actually) to see Kubuntu develop, either as part of installation, or as a utility for use "post installation", allowing for deselection of compiled and/or runtime kernel modules that as a user, I may have no need for, or do not want loaded. One of the best ways to increase speed - on any platform - is to 'trim the kernel' of excess baggage that the user will not, or does not, want.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: What I'd like to see in Kubuntu

I do like your idea , but I'm not convinced that enough people will find it useful to make the new tool worthwhile. Assuming most Kubuntu users have similar levels of experience to my own, I don't know what most packages and services pre-installed on Kubuntu actually do. Furthermore, how do I know removing any particular package won't make my Kubuntu insane or unstable?

I've already invested a good amount of time learning how to configure the packages I need to use Kubuntu productively. Tinkering with customizations carries a certain amount of risk, and my data is very important to me. It may be best to leave the customization and optimization to people who are willing to learn how on their own. An ultimate tweaking tool may just make it too easy for the inexperienced to hose their systems.

Well, those are my thoughts, I'm sure there's plenty of room for argument on both sides, so what do you think?
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

You make some good points. But if one was asked during installation, which is already done (language, keyboard layout, etc), which "optional" services you wanted to use - Bluetooth being a prime example - with simple Y/n answer options, I don't think any harm would result.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think Snowhog's suggestion is a good one in essence. However, I also agree with Telengard's comments. I think a reasonable way to give the end user control while retaining a kernel's capabilities (and by far the easiest way to speed up a system) is to limit the modules and daemons that are run at startup.

Here is a list of my modules:
        mii sis900 slhc snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd snd-ens1370 soundcore vboxdrv
        and daemons:
        syslog-ng @network netfs @crond @sensors @alsa @mysqld @openntpd @sshd @cups @hal gamin kdm
        In another distro the end user is able to determine what is run in /etc/rc.config, not sure about the Ubuntu way.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          But if one was asked during installation, which is already done (language, keyboard layout, etc), which "optional" services you wanted to use - Bluetooth being a prime example - with simple Y/n answer options, I don't think any harm would result.
          It would make the installer more complicated than it needs to be. My first experience installing Linux was with the previous generation Debian. The text mode installer was about as customizable as I could want, but it was very confusing for me because I lacked experience at that time. New users need simplicity, not extra confusing options.

Even so, I still have no idea why at various times Kubuntu has by default included software for graphics tablets, specific printers, and various bits like you mention. I would guess that only a tiny minority of users have these devices and wish to use them. Why burden everyone with those packages by default? I don't know the answers, but I suppose those decisions should be based on what will make things easiest for all users.

If a customizable, tweak-able installer is needed then it should be hidden behind an advanced button. It could also be made available by a command line option. Finally, it could be made available only on the Alternate CD which, according to the Ubuntu pages, is supposed to provide advanced options for users who need them.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I'd like to see Kubuntu STOP 'Windows-like' "FIXES' which are often counter-productive and "un-Linux-like.' Why does this distro always change things that were working before?

SU -> SUDO

no alsaconf or any way of configuring sound.

I'm just tired of it.

I grit my teeth when the LiveCD wouldn't work. I waited for KDE 4 to progress and now there are other problems. Installing a video driver DISABLES sound and eliminates whatever 'helper files' allows sound to work.

After googling and searching both Kubuntu AND Ubuntu forums, there is no solution. What a POS OS!

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
              SU -> SUDO
              su and sudo does two completely different thing. they are not replacement of each other.

you can always use su if you want to, and the su is always there, in ubuntu of course.

Comment

Hi kbunt,

I'd like to see Kubuntu STOP 'Windows-like' "FIXES' which are often counter-productive and "un-Linux-like.' Why does this distro always change things that were working before?
                I admit, I sometimes feel that way too. It seems like the Kubuntu folks are more focused on new features and rapid evolution than stability and reliability. That's not really a bad thing though, since Kubuntu does provide a rather excellent desktop experience. Still, people should inform themselves of this distro's personality before committing to it.

If you seriously want something more UNIX-like, then you should try Slackware, which aims to be the most "UNIX-like" Linux distribution out there. I've been experimenting a bit with it, and I'm very impressed with the simplicity and minimalism they've achieved. Although I'm not switching any time soon, Slackware seems like a good choice if you want a mix of stable and customizable. Read more about it at http://www.slackbook.org

Originally posted by Slackware Linux Essentials
                There are many reasons why Slackware is Linux's oldest living distribution. It does not try to emulate Windows, it tries to be as Unix-like as possible. It does not try to cover up processes with fancy, point-and-click GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces). Instead, it puts users in control by letting them see exactly what's going on. Its development is not rushed to meet deadlines-each version comes out when it is ready.
                SU -> SUDO
                Like pansz said, you can always assign a root password and use su the way you're used to.

no alsaconf or any way of configuring sound. I'm just tired of it.
                LOL! I've had fewer problems with sound in Kubuntu than any other Linux distro I've tried. Well, it can be a PITA when your hardware doesn't work right out of the box. There are solutions to these problems, if you're willing to invest some time.

After googling and searching both Kubuntu AND Ubuntu forums, there is no solution. What a POS OS!
                Whoa now, I just can not believe that is true. Odds are very good that someone else has already soved whatever problems your facing. I'm not the guy to ask about your video and sound problem, but there are other places to look beyond KubuntuForums.net:

http://ubuntuforums.org
                http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/
                http://kubuntuway.net/
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                X