This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to Kubuntu Developers

Recently i aquired a Dell laptop and knew that i was going to install Kubuntu on it as the only operating system. But with this laptop it had some big shoes to fill. The things i wanted to do with this laptop i wasn't sure if Kubuntu could do. But i was willing to give it a try even though i thought it was going to take some work. I decided to make the jump and use 8.10 hoping that it was mature enough to handle the task. And boy was i right. First off installing was a breeze. Compiz and wireless worked without struggle. I thought i did something wrong when in 45 minutes i did what it took me 4 hours to do with my desktop running 8.04. Then it was on to the big stuff. I wanted to use my Blackberry as a usb modem to connect to the internet while mobile. I gave up when i found out that Kubuntu could take advantage of the bluetooth modem function without any added software. After i went with the bluetooth modem option it only took a day and that was only because it disconnected only after being connected for 2 minutes. Took me half a day to find out the problem was with ppp connection scripts. Then i needed to use it to share that connection with my company win xp laptop because they have the darn thing so locked down that i couldn't use my blackberry the same way on it. That only took me a few minutes to set up as well thanks to the wiki. So my hats off to you Kubuntu developers that have taken the time to build a great os that can meet the needs of such a needy user. Anyone thinking of making the plunge should at least give the live cd a shot. It will be worth your while.
Working...
X