X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Services that can be replaced with Linux

Hello everyone,

Ok I know this is going to be a very broad question and I figured that this was the best place to ask this. My new IT manager and I are actively exploring the Linux path as he is not afraid to try it. So currently we have 3 servers running in shop with Kubuntu on them. One is a SFTP box and that's really its whole purpose in life since it is virutalized and I needed it to fill a specific role. However we have two other boxes that are also installed and running one is for us to sit down when we have time and figure out bacula the other is our complete screw around with box. We are wanting to find out what services that windows is currently doing that we can stop and switch over to Linux.
    I thought about DHCP possibly. I also considered DNS but since we are a AD shop I am unsure at the moment how well a AD server would communicate with a non AD DNS. If anyone has any great ideas we are completely open to any new ideas and hey thats what the point in this box is. If we break it we'll just reinstall and start over.
    Tonight I did install ldap on it so I'll play with that tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help in advance and I look forward to seeing where this will go.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: Winodows Services that can be replaced with Linux

I run Linux as server for firewall, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, FTP and as file server for Linux and Windows clients. I intend to extend that with mail and as a virtualization host.

Comment

Working...
    X