This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to access my root access

My wife's computer has kubuntu 7.10 on it and I want to upgrade it to 8.10, but it wont boot from the cd so that I can install the new version. So I tried to access the bios to change the boot order but I cannot access root access cause I cannot remember the root access password.

Is there any way I can find out how to find where the root access is or how I can reformat the harddrive without root access?

Re: unable to access my root access

Entering the BIOS is (should be) fairly simple. When the PC is first starting, watch the screen. You are usually told what key(s) to press to enter setup (the BIOS configuration utility). Being able to do this has nothing to do with root access from Linux.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried to enter the bios by pressing delete but that is where the problem lies it asks me to enter the password and I forgot the password

Comment

That's not good, but not fatal. It will however, require that the PC be opened up so the motherboard is accessible. There is going to be a jumper that is either connected or disconnected that clears the set BIOS passoword. Don't ask me where the jumper is, but there will be one. A decent PC technicion will be able to do this for you if nothing else.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X