need help with original IBM XP installation CDs - SOLVED

Background:

- T41 laptop, originally with a 40GB hard drive
    - five original IBM XP installation discs

Current state:

- T41 with a 160GB hard drive
    - Kubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 installed

Problem:

With the festive season coming up I am looking forward to perhaps a day's worth of gaming. The local library has this fab game which does not install on wine, hence I need an XP install...

The original IBM discs install only on the original 40GB drive. On my current set up they spurt out an error and the system hangs. How can I install XP, ideally transfer it to my 160GB disk and put it on a virtual machine?

Any suggestions are most welcome
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: need help with original IBM XP installation CDs

Windows gaming will be best done on a native Windows installation, toad. In a VM, it does not access the real graphics hardware, so the graphics aren't going to be as fast as on the native installation with the proper drivers.

Having said that, it won't be a disaster, either, if you go with a VM. To do that, download the free VMware Player ver. 2.5.1 and install it -- make sure and get the one for your architecture.

Then you'll need an empty VM. Instructions for that begin at #3 here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Comment

Maybe I can also help...
      I was trying to convert my existing Windows into VM, but the bigest problem was lack of space...
      If I were you I would install XP on the 40gb disk then install VMWare converter on it and convert it on the Kubuntu 160gb disk (I hope that you have 40+gb of space).
      Then you do what dibl recommended. (Oh the same link to vmware converter is on the dibls post...)
      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Perhaps I should just install the original XP on the 40GB drive and be done with it - especially in the light of complications I'd have transferring the partition over to the 160GB drive (I have no external drives).

I won't touch VmWare I'm afraid. Installed it once and cursed all the way 'cos of what it done to my system. I'll be using Virtualbox instead if I comes that far (thanks for the info on gaming in a VM environment).
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Just a thought: if you do succeed plugging the old disk and installing, you may be able to use clonezilla later on, to move it to the large drive, and keep it there in case you need XP in the future (I hope for your sake you won't, LOL)

Comment

Thanks, lmilano.

Yeah, I could dump it on there, plenty of space Problem would be how to transfer it from a to b (I am lacking an external drive). Once on there I could even shrink it to whatever

Last time I used clonezilla was yonks ago - and it was good then. I suppose I could, via the network, put it on the desktop, swap drives on the laptop and then put it on the 160gb drive. Got to think...

Comment

You should be able to install XP on the 160 drive. I would suggest going to some XP forums and asking how to reinstall XP after installing a new hard drive. I know it can be done, and legally. You may have to contact MS for a key, but people have hard drive failures and install new hard drives all the time. I've done it several times, but never had a problem until I tried to register it, and had to call MS. They gave me a key to enter and everything worked fine. As long as it is on the same machine it should install.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Detonate. I assumed they would put me on to IBM but you are right, MS is the first port of call.

Mind, that would mean having to rearrange my hard drive completely, would it not? Or can XP be placed anywhere on the hard drive? Sounds like I've got to do some tinkering or even read the dual boot guide which I keep referring people to

Comment

My XP install is on sda2. I installed Linux before XP. So it can be done.

Comment

Good stuff - thanks to that info I reckon I only need a spare primary partition (which I can create) after convincing the CDs to boot on the new drive.

Comment

I can't remember for sure, but I think that after I installed XP on sda2, I did have to use a live CD to edit Grub to include Windows and reinstall it on HD 0,0 because Windows installed ntldr there.

Comment

Well, doing the grub wouldn't be a problem but I've just been told that the original IBM recovery CDs wipe out the entire hard drive - no chance of installing into a partition...

So a couple more hoops to jump through. Me wonders whether this is really worth it...

Anyway, what a bunch of daft buggers they were to do something like that!

Comment

That's a bummer! I installed mine from a retail CD, and at some point early in the install it let me select where to install it. Of course, you could just grab one of those extra hard drives you have lying around and use that. Awshucks, I forgot, this is a laptop isn't it?

Comment

Yep, I reckon that is the way to go. Can't be bothered to shift endless gigs around and rearrange a whole hard drive just to play a game! Easier to just get out the screwdriver and change the drive caddy...

So there, time to close this thread (if I know how to - if not I just mark it as solved).

Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                            X