This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making fat32 partitions

HI i just got a 320 GB 2.5 HDD for my girlfriend. I want to partition is into 4 partitions in the following size 20, 100, 100, 100. Also I want it to be able to be readable from a windows computer and apple computer. I was doing this through konsole but it only shows up on my linux box and not on a windows box can someone help me out. Also is there a way to name the drive instead of sdf1 sdf2? Thanks

this is what I have been doing in konsole

cfdisk /dev/hdd
    (partition the DISK)

then -> NEW -> Primary
    choose size
    select write
    mkfs.vfat /dev/hddX

Re: Making fat32 partitions

I think you'll make your life a lot easier if you use a graphical tool, like gparted ot qtparted (both available in the *buntu repositories. I think, for easy naming, you can use labels, check in gqprted or qtparted ...

Comment

Originally posted by nikkiwikki

Also I want it to be able to be readable from a windows computer and apple computer.
      I'm not an expert on what filesystems Apple can read. If they can read ext3, then that would be the intelligent way to go, I think. Then you would install the ext2IFS driver on your Windows box, which would allow it to read and write to the ext3 filesystems, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply guys. I managed to get it working and formatted as FAT32. But now i have a problem with write access to a harddrive that is external. I did a chmod -R 777 to set the permission to give access to everything but that didn't work. Just says read only file system. This hard drive was formatted by a Mac. Can someone help me out thanks

Comment

Did you mount the drive rw or ro? Please check with
          Code:
          mount
          after you mounted the disk.
          I'm also a newbie, but I think permissions set by chmod are the 2nd step. First you have to make sure that you've mounted the drive writable.
          E.g.
          Code:
          mount -w /dev/sdc1 /desired_mount_point
          should mount /dev/sdc1 writable. Apparently you have to replace 'sdc1' accordingly to your situation.

HTH,
          Cornelius

Comment

Good point Cornelius. In general, there could be other issues. Some fs's can only be accessesd (munted) readonly in Linux. Do you know what fs the drive has?

You may want to use a graphical tool (probably MountManager, I think it is in the Ubuntu repos)
            http://www.linux.com/feature/153412

Good luck!

Comment

its a extrenal drive so I am not sure. BUt i get this when I do ls -l

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9 2008-11-22 14:12 backup

even as root I cannot make a directory ot move stuff onto the drive

Comment

mmm ... what's the output of "df -h"? Did you try MountManager and see if you can fiddle with the mount options?

Comment

Working...
                X