Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatically measure features in an image?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatically measure features in an image?

Not sure where's the best place to ask this (probably not kubuntuforums.net, but I'm registered here, so...)

I have some electron micrographs of magnetite powders (see attached), and I want the particle size distribution. So I'm after an easier (and less error-prone) method than taking a ruler to the image and measuring them all manually.

Any idea for a way to do this? It's probably a bit much to expect anything completely automagic, but say I were to trace the edges manually and then have a way to get the dimensions of all the polygons thus produced, even that would help a lot (especially as I have access to a graphics tablet)

EDIT: Image attached. I had to crop it to meet attachment size limits.
    Attached Files
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Automatically measure features in an image?

Interesting question!

Gimp has a "measuring tool" in the toolbox, and my quick little skim of it indicates you can set it to a variety of metrics, including mm, cm, inches, feet, picas, pixels, etc. It measures angles too. So I would say you have some hope in that direction.

Comment

Working...
    X