X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For all ye Kubuntu/kde4 wairy

Originally posted by MoonRise
    Agreed. At least that is what I hope I'm doing!
    I thought you just liked to break your system for the fun of it.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well.... I do that quite regularly. Yes, let's go with that.

Comment

re KDE 4
        I expressed my thoughts/conclusion about Kubuntu/KDE4 at another forum tonight, and felt I owed it to you guys to say it here (this, after a couple not-so-positive comments from me lately on KDE 4 & etcetera).

I like KDE 4. (Now, isn't that special.)
        ... Resisted at first. Now, after just a week or so in it, it's hard to imagine going back to the confines of KDE 3 "Desktop." Keeping 8.04/dual-boot for awhile, only because now and then 8.10 just loses it under load (Rx: hard restart). The devs get past the initials & fixes, and hard telling where this sort of maximal-flexibility capability might lead. A pleasure to find myself wrong on the first call this time.

It's actually fun doing work in 8.10 w/KDE4.
        (And I don't yet quite always know what I'm doing when I'm in there ... )
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Have a look at this:
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098964.0

Enjoy
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ha! One thing at a time here, Fintan. I'm not trying to create new chaos, I'm trying to enjoy the existing state of chaos. First I have to figure out the GUi --e.g., in Konqueror file mgr where my hard drives are! and no Disk & Filesystems that I can see ... I'm sort of "behind" here. Searching topics right his minute!

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm starting to hate KDE4. Where the heck is 'users and groups?'

I go to the K-Menu and then System settings and it's not there. No wonder people are bashing KDE4. I really didn't understand nor recognize their complaints but now I do. They are awful changes. I was getting used to getting through the K-Menu but sometimes, the design is horrible. Sorry, it just is.

Every time you read now (from google) on how to go through the menu, you know have to find how it relates to KDE4.

Comment

something to try if you can't find an item in the kmenu:
                type something in the search bar at the top of the menu.

Type in 'user' and it will show the 'kuser' app (which is in the System menu btw)

Comment

i have yet to try kde4 , i am tempted but with just this one machine if something go's wrong them im boned lol.

plus 8.04LTS just works so good for me
                  Still lerning linux after all these years<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
                    I'm starting to hate KDE4. Where the heck is 'users and groups?'

I go to the K-Menu and then System settings and it's not there. No wonder people are bashing KDE4. I really didn't understand nor recognize their complaints but now I do. They are awful changes. I was getting used to getting through the K-Menu but sometimes, the design is horrible. Sorry, it just is.

Every time you read now (from google) on how to go through the menu, you know have to find how it relates to KDE4.
                    Well I use Kuser and that is in the Kmenu for me. If you don't see it install it.
                    I was once on your side of the fence, and hated the new KB II 8.10, but I gave KDE 4 a chance and am now sticking to it. But if you don't like it stay with 8.4.1 as that is very good, and stable, for every day work.
                    I will say I am running KB 8.10 with KDE 4.2 beta 2 and it is very stable for me. I did find I had to do a clean install, as the upgrade left to much 8.4 kde3 stuff behind for kde 4.2 to work well.

I hope you change your mind as I did.

Noel Vh
                    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

thanks for the tip, claydoh.

I didn't need to do that although I'm sure it would have worked.

Just by luck, I searched the forum and found this thread:

I know where it is now. I don't know how I could have missed it!!!

How come entering 'kuser' in a terminal gives an error but then starts? Just curious.

Thanks to all for enduring my frustration! I don't know if it will allow me to configure PulseAudio successfully but I'll give it one more try.

btw, noel, I was getting used to it but I'm used to 3.5.9 and now it's a newly arranged menu to become accustomed to. Plus, the way it opens or expands... I hope you know what I mean.

Comment

btw, noel, I was getting used to it but I'm used to 3.5.9 and now it's a newly arranged menu to become accustomed to. Plus, the way it opens or expands... I hope you know what I mean.
                        I do know what you are talking about, I am still getting lost a bit in the menu my self. I as don't use the kmenu I use Lancelot for my menu. Works better. I not sure if you know this but there is a classic kmenu plasmoid you can add. Click on the cashew on the system bar, click add widgets and you should see to kmenu buttons. They are different so you can add the other one for the classic kmenu.

Enjoy.

Noe Vh
                        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

I as don't use the kmenu I use Lancelot for my menu.
                          I agree. Once I started using Lancelot, I fell in love with it. SOOOOOO much better than KDE's default, not to put down what they did, but the guy behind Lancelot really put thought behind it.

Comment

In my opinion, that article misrepresents us who have, for the moment, decided to stay with KDE3. I think I speak for most of us when I say that we have great hopes for KDE4 and think it will be great. We will make the switch when it's ready, but it is not yet comparable to KDE3 in stability or features. It is not yet ready.

What we resent is not the development of a new and better KDE, it's that we are forced to become beta testers if we want to keep up with the rest of the stuff that's part of the distribution. That might be OK on a test machine, but not on a production machine or a machine that holds important data or might take time to restore if busted. Being cutting edge is nice for some machines, but most simply need to work reliably.

Basically, you want us to move out of our comfortable home and into the new luxury home, even though the luxury home is still full of construction workers and doesn't have a roof yet. That's what we resent, the timing, not the move as such.

For the record, I've tried both 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2, and they are still not ready. Perhaps 4.3 will be the magic number, perhaps it will be later. I don't know now when I'll switch, but when it's ready, I will switch.

Comment

I just cannot get it to boot so have to boot the live cd in safe graphics mode..there is an option to disable randr in system settings but that will be meaningless if I do not actually install it
                              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Originally posted by Troberg
                                What we resent is not the development of a new and better KDE, it's that we are forced to become beta testers if we want to keep up with the rest of the stuff that's part of the distribution. That might be OK on a test machine, but not on a production machine or a machine that holds important data or might take time to restore if busted. Being cutting edge is nice for some machines, but most simply need to work reliably.
                                i have to agree with this. get KDE4 working perfect (well as perfect as you can) before trying to dump it on your users
                                Still lerning linux after all these years<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />

Comment

Working...
                                X