Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1.3 - are you people happy with it ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.1.3 - are you people happy with it ??

Originally posted by dibl

My main gripe with Intrepid Ibex/KDE 4 is with the new Adept Manager. Even though others complained about Adept in KDE 3.5, I never had any problems with it. Why the devs thought it would be cool NOT to let you see the list of packages, upon opening Adept, I have no idea. To this day, I'm not sure I could explain what it takes to view the unabridged list of all available packages -- I got so annoyed with it I just switched to Synaptic and haven't screwed around with Adept any more. But that was a dumb move, in my opinion -- what kind of package manager doesn't show the packages?
    [/vent]
    for sure the new adept needs to learn a lesson from the older version (adept_manager).
    i loved how the old version worked, this is one of the reasons i downgraded to kubuntu 8.04 w/ kde3.5,
    and i must say Synaptic is a very good alternative for ne one who misses the old adept_manager
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

When I use apt manager I can not find half of the packages I want to install. When I load synaptic I find the packages with ease.

Noel Vh
      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

The current version of Adept Manager (Version 3.0 Beta 4 (Sheldon)) has a fair way to go before it matches the user-friendliness of the version found in KDE 3.5.10. One of the know problems (bugs) with this current version is it's inability to locate packages that have names of less than four characters. This can be overcome by putting spaces at the end of the search name when this is the case. But, that's why I installed Synaptic. Compared to Adept Manager (Version 3.0 Beta 4 (Sheldon)) it's a no-brainer!
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu 8.04 and I really don't like KDE 4.1. I've tried setting up panels and really don't like the way they work since they tend to hide behind full screen apps. If I want to get to my desktop I need to individually minimize each app. I'd really like the taskbar back. I have read that 4.2 is bringing it back but I don't have the time to play with an Alpha version. In fact the reason I'm cruising the forums today is to find the best way to remove 4.1 and go back to 3.5.

David<br />Chandler, AZ<br /><br />Kubuntu 7.10

Comment

I was running KDE 4.1.3 on Mandriva 2009 Power Pack and it was running FINE! I loved it so much I couldn't wait until KDE 4.2. When Mandriva made some Mandriva 4.2 rpms available on the kde.org website I downloaded them and tried it out. When I rebooted I got disaster. Well, with nothing to lose I decided to see if any other distros offered 4.2 and saw the Jaunty Jackalope did. I tried it and got 4.2.0 running fresh out of the ISO. I immediately upgraded to the latest and am now running 4.2.1. IMO, it is even better than 4.1.3. I had been using KDE 4.1.x for about 6 months before Mandriva's 4.2 broke my desktop. (Not their fault - the rpms were alpha1's, and breaking is to be expected.) During the process to recover 4.1.3 I had to temporarily install KDE 3.5.10. I had run KDE 3.5.x since it was released, but this time it seemed so alien to me I couldn't believe it. I hated the way KDE 3.5 handles USB sticks, and the way Konqueror displayed services and mounts. I couldn't wait to get 4.1.3 going again. Once I did I thought I'd look around and see if any other distro was trying KDE 4.2. That's when I noticed Jaunty.

What made Jaunty such a bonus was that after I booted up the LiveCD I noticed that it recognized and configured my Intel Mobil 4 Series video chip (G45) and gave me a 1600X900 display with 850 fps of accelerated video - something that Mandriva could not do. It seems that there was a bug in the Xorg Intel x86 video driver that didn't correctly configure all versions of the G45 chip. The Xorg bugzilla announced the solution only in the second week of Feburary, so I was astounded that Jaunty had the solution already and not only that, they had the screen config to support 1600X900!

Having started with KDE 4.0 and worked my way to KDE 4.2.1 on Jaunty I have noticed that the KDE4 dev team has made midcourse corrections along the way in regards to how icons are saved on the desktop, how the plasma works, how apps are configured, etc.. There has been a LOT of user feedback and criticism (both constructive and destructive) but the process has resulted in a steadily improving KDE4 destkop, filemanager, plasma applets, etc...

Now, I wouldn't think of switching back to KDE 3.5 (and although it is an OK desktop, GNOME has never tickled my fancy, so I won't be going there.).

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X