Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1.3 - are you people happy with it ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1.3 - are you people happy with it ??

i'm curios about how well it works, is 4.1.3 stable enough to replace good ol' 3.5 or should i wait, what are your experiences, especially kde4 long time users please share your expertise.... i'm toying with the idea of setting up a kubuntu 8.10 kde4 partition of my own for testing, but just can't seem to find the time for it, on the other hand if i do, is it really worth the time ?

Re: KDE 4.1.3 - are you people happy with it ??

I'm happy with KDE 4.1. It's not as thoroughly developed as 3.5.10, of course, so you occasionally find a missing feature. But I'm as productive with it as I ever was ... hmmmm, what am I saying here?

Comment

Yup, I've happy with KDE 4.1.3, even though what I was used to having in KDE 3.5.10 isn't all in 4.1.3.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Could you give me some examples of features you miss in kde 4 ?

Comment

i agree w/ you guys KDE4 is nice but still missing some things . some examples that i notice most are .

1. the ability to set keybord shortcuts to apps in the kmenu (they show as saved just don't work)
          2. i keep loseing my kmenu widget from my panel (just have to add it back not a big deal and it don't happen all the time)
          3. some apps are not updated yet (amarok , and i am sure more)
          and i am sure there a bunch more but these are the things i notice most.
          also some settings are just not there yet.. (the ability to hid the panel is one)
          takes a bit of adjustment to get used to but its very nice can't wait for it to be as mature as kde3 is now!
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by drnde
            Could you give me some examples of features you miss in kde 4 ?
            I've learned to use the "Folder View" widget, set to show the user "Desktop" on the screen, because the KDE 4 screen is no longer a "desktop" the way it was in KDE 3.5 (and every other GUI, for that matter). It's a coping thing - but it works just fine, once you figure out how to do it. The only things I tend to have on the Desktop are recent downloads, anyway -- I try to keep it clean.

Likewise, I prefer my frequently-used apps on the panel, where I can launch them -- not all over the desktop. Adding apps to the panel is a different deal in KDE4 than KDE 3.5. Once you learn the new deal, it's not a problem, but at first it's a big slowdown to setting up your system.

My main gripe with Intrepid Ibex/KDE 4 is with the new Adept Manager. Even though others complained about Adept in KDE 3.5, I never had any problems with it. Why the devs thought it would be cool NOT to let you see the list of packages, upon opening Adept, I have no idea. To this day, I'm not sure I could explain what it takes to view the unabridged list of all available packages -- I got so annoyed with it I just switched to Synaptic and haven't screwed around with Adept any more. But that was a dumb move, in my opinion -- what kind of package manager doesn't show the packages?

[/vent]

Comment

I love kde4.1.3 and am drooling over kde4.2 (nightly) I stick all of my major files in one or two folders and have them at my fingertips in folderviews.

Apps on a side pannel. taskbar, quick launcher for all my data, and systray on the bottom (or top) panel.

Very sweet. haven't touch kde3.5 for months (it is still on my disk as a reserve, but I just can't remember what it looks like anymore
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I was not happy at all with KDE4, when I fist put it on my system, I stress WAS here.
                I have been running it full time now for 2 weeks, and it took me 10 installs to get it right (or get me working with it right).

I have t hard drives for my laptop, and just installed KB 8.10 to my second HD.
                Things I have running.
                OpenOffice 3
                VirtualBox (the one form SUN not the repos as I need USB support)
                Wine
                FF3
                Compiz/emerald
                Avant window manager
                Synaptic (WAY better than apt)
                Smb4k (network shared folder between XP and linux)
                Lancelot (very cool launcher)
                Picasa 3 beta
                TrueCrypt (encryption tool)
                And a bunch of other smaller apps.

I did have a great deal of problems with wifi, digital camera, and the over all change to KDE.

I am working fine and don't see me going back to the old any time soon.

I did have an issue today with a 7z file. Ark can't not open this up, and there is no plugin for 7z in the repos. I did install the CLI p7zip and that worked.

Noel Vh
                ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Using 4.1.3 now and have been using 4.0 since 8.04 remix. Stability is relevant to the individual's system, all I can say is that I have not experienced one crash. I for one particulary like the lack of old style desktop, the new containments are a great way to keep the desktop clean (which is to my taste).
                  As for new apps, I agree that adept when you first open it, you have to scratch your head and think how does this work then? But once I figured out what the silly little icons do, I have grown to like it and it is now the first app run when I log in (always looking for those updates). I did try synaptic (only because firefox installed it as a dependency) worked fine but did take me just as long to figure out its use. Mind you I always give preference to KDE apps over GTK/Gnome, only because I have never liked the look of the gtk/gnome apps (even when I used Gnome for a short time). Anyway I could waffle on all night, so best leave it at I love KDE 4.**
                  Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

I just found out that a kubuntu 8.10 live cd has been released http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.10-release
                    and it comes with kde4.1 , i think i'll give it a try.... but there is one mayor problem for me, there is no Kaffeine port for kde4, yet...
                    I need kaffeine to watch dvb-t.... i googled a bit but all i have learned so far is that most kde3 apps do work in kde4, ... so does kaffeine for kde3 still work with kde4

p.s. thank you for all the replies so far

Comment

Hi,
                      I am running KB 8.10 and just installed Kaffeine from the repos, using synaptic installer.
                      I am not sure what a dvd-t is so I could test it out but it installed 0.8.6 version

Noel Vh
                      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Hi,
                        I am running KB 8.10 and just installed Kaffeine from the repos, using synaptic installer.
                        I am not sure what a dvd-t is so I could test it out but it installed 0.8.6 version

Noel Vh
                        DVB-T -> Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial is the european standard for digital terrestrial television
                        the dvb option in kaffeine is not displayed if you don't have a tv-card installed (as far as i know)
                        but the important thing for me is that kaffeine works with kde4 because dvb support is built in so it should work too

thank you for your reply noelvh

Comment

The short version, No I don't like it, Its full of bugs which should not have been put out as a stable release.

Long version

I have been using it for two weeks and are just getting it to work just, although considering to move to another release still, to much stuff not working. Main complain is that I feel forced in to Intrepid, how so... some features that are in Intrepid are essential for my work and I couldn't get the without upgrading. The KDE 4 is not the way I wanted the Linux platform to go basically, to much Vista crap that I don't need, where is the option to scale it down...

Fist order of business after upgrading, remove kicker menu, to slow to stupid to much klicking for noting. Second order lookup whats been destroyed... alot, and start cleaning up and replacing stuff that just doesn't work, Network config tools, has been replaced by Gnome tools to do the same the KDE doesn't work and I don't have the time to debug something that has been released as "stable". Had Compiz installed before out of curiosity but didn't use it since its to much unnecessary eye-candy(vista again), had to remove it... just doesn't work after upgrade(no big deal here though), my wine installation was shot after upgrade, this will take time to sort out and I haven't gotten around to that yet..
                          My screen savers don't work after upgrade, don't know whats wrong I don't use anything other than standard from the kubuntu release so don't know. Desktop shifting sucks in KDE, the applications in the task manager dosent link to the desktop so you have to search for your application all the time. My java jre environment was also destroyed after upgrade since all java platforms were not migrated to Intrepid(or changed name during the move, haven't sorted this out) Somethings also happened to the power management since after the upgrade it gets overheated and shuts down on its own, this is not good... the list goes on and on...

There will be weeks of work before this is sorted out... probably shift to gnome for a year and then try to come back.

Conclusion: This is NOT a stable release, and I don't buy that crap with "Is Intrepid for you" since it was the only way to get the upgraded packages.

Comment

It took a while but everything is working perfectly! So yes, I'm very pleased with it. Still waiting for one or the other plasmoid to make it perfect but that is life.

As for dvbt - I can confirm that it works out of the box with kaffeine. Here is my dmesg after plugging in my external usb dvbt device:

DVB: registering new adapter (TerraTec/qanu USB2.0 Highspeed DVB-T Receiver)
                            [13976.202827] input: TerraTec/qanu USB2.0 Highspeed DVB-T Receiver remote control as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.2/usb1/1-2/input/input6
                            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Installed Kubuntu 8.10 64-bit version. I am impressed. It works well. Everything works. I'm also running Suse 11.0 32-bit on my other computer and Mandriva's KDE 4.1.2 version on my new laptop. It all works well. There may be some bugs in the software and these will eventually be worked out. I make exceptions for all of these distro's using KDE 4.1.2/ 4.1.3 because it's new and software is always evolving and never static. Overall I like what I see and will not turn back.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X