X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

considering switching to Kubuntu

Hi,

I'm a Windows user since 2000. I've had 98, 2K, XP and now I'm on Vista. Can't say I love it, but don't have anything better to fit my purposes.
    I'm a creative director, so I'm using amongst others Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, etc. These are required for my daily work. I know, there are some open source programs similar to these, but let's admit, there isn't any graphics editor, that's better, than Photoshop. And I haven't seen anything similar to Flash or After Effects for that matter.
    But anyway, I have an operating system related question here. I reeeeeaaally want to get rid of Windows. There are countless problems with it, as you all know, slow, unstable, unreliable, etc, etc, not to mention the threat of viruses. Honestly, the only thing that's keeping me on Windows is my work. When I need to get something done fast, on time and it should be quality work, then I simply don't know any better choice, than Windows + the above software. So my question is, would it be possible to achieve this on a Kubuntu based system?
    And there's the problem of compatibility as well. For me running Adobe software on my computer is absolutely mandatory, whether it's under Windows or Linux. And of course, I'd like to play around with the new CS4 versions, but as I understand emulators such as Wine are always a couple of versions behind, regarding the software they support, so CS3 versions would be enough for now and I need them on a fast and stable system. That's all.
    What do you recommend? Any input is much appreciated. I'd really like to get off of Windows, but stick with the Adobe software I use. Is this possible in fluid way? I have a 2,4 GHz Core 2 Quad processor based computer with 4 GB of RAM, if this helps...
    Thanks for reading all this!

Tom

Re: considering switching to Kubuntu

Hi Tom, and Welcome.

Besides Wine, there is also VirtualBox, and Crossover.... from Kubuntu, you could run the Windows OS and use it to run the programs you need.

There is another virtual machine, but i've lost the name.

Comment

Actually, there is a Linux program that is as powerful as Photoshop. It's called the GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). I'm not much of an artist so I use other (very simple minded) image processing software, so I have no idea whether (a) equivalent plugins to those you use in Photoshop are available for the GIMP, or (b) whether the GIMP user interface is close enough to Photoshop that you wouldn't need a time consuming (i.e. expensive) learning curve to make the switch. I do know that there are graphic arts professionals who use it.

Flash is available for Linux, so I don't think you'll have a problem there, but I"ve never heard of After Effects, so I can't comment. Why not take a look at the Linux App Finder to explore the issues in depth.

Comment

just my $0.02
        i do use gimp for fairly simple things such as cropping and resizing images, but i know it can be more powerful if one wanted to use it for more detailed things. what i want to point out is that the "standard" install *is* fairly basic, but there are many gimp extras available in the repositories.

aprilchaser i'm not sure what to tell you at this point since you are obviously not a linux user yet, but you *can* have *both* windows *and* ubuntu (i prefer hardy with kde3.5) if you use a function called a "boot loader" such as GRUB or LILO.

what a boot loader does is give you a menu after your system finishes BIOS. this menu allows you to choose from among whatever operating systems you have installed, and boot into one or the other as you choose.

that way you can keep your vista and get some experience with ubuntu as well. i am confident that should you choose to set things up this way you will find yourself quickly preferring the linux environment.

Comment

I'm no artist, but have done a variety of image and photo-related processing tasks -- I used PaintShop Pro in Windows, and have found gimp equally capable. These include such things as making labels for wine bottles (superimposing text over graphics), outlining people in a group photo to make a "key to names", improving brightness and contrast of images, converting between file formats, resizing and re-shaping images, etc. I don't think gimp can match every feature of the full-price Photoshop, but it's probably worth checking out whether it has all the features you need.

Don't know about Flash editors, but I think they exist.

One more thought -- if there is some Windows-only app that you just gotta have (I have one), then you can set up Windows XP on a VMware Player VM. Here's what it looks like:

[img width=400 height=300]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3271/kintrepidcompizfu5.png[/img]

except you can skip the part about anti-virus, anti-malware stuff. Just don't use it to browse or e-mail and it's fine.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for all your thoughts/advices, guys! You are very kind.
            Sorry, I'm replying so late, but I'm a very busy person.
            What I would like to ask you, is about QEMU. I've thought of installing Kubuntu using QEMU and running it under Vista. Is that safe, is that OK, is that recommended? What do you think?

Tom

Comment

If you are considering dual-booting, then see The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are numerous things you can do: As stated, You can dual boot, or there are virtual machines where you can run one OS from within the other - they are Virtualbox and VMWare. I am going down that route at the moment. I've been dual-booting for about 3 years now and have finally decided to get rid of my hard copy of XP. I have (very easily) installed a Win XP installation from within Kubuntu with virtualbox. Slightly trickier, but I have now succeeded in "converting" a copy of my existing XP installation to a VMWare VM which I am can now run from within Kubuntu. The advantage of that method is that I've got my 1280x800 in all it's glory (just found that out) whereas with the virtualbox install you rely on the VB drivers which limit your options. That might be something you think of if the Linux "bug" hits you and you become addicted and make linux your main OS.

For now I assume you want to try Kubuntu on a "no risk" basis first? Generally the advice is to try the live cd but it's slow. An install within one of the 2 VM packages I refer to (Virtualbox is more suited I think to experimenting with a new OS given the ability to just slap in a CD to install it) will give you a much better evaluation.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                X