This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.10 faster?

I've recently upgraded from Hardy Heron to 8.10 and have noticed faster boot-up and application launch. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm curious as to what changes have been made for this result. Anyone know?

Thanks

Re: 8.10 faster?

Good for you but i have not noticed this . Here they seem to be equal.

Phoronix has an opposite article (Ubuntu but the engineroom is same) > Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Nor here, nor here. In fact, this version seems slower than the last... Not only that, but I've been having continuous problems with the latest KDE 4. Plasma keeps meeting fatal errors when I use it to open folders, and it's hell and a half to configure the thing the way I want it, which was so easy under KDE 3 ((i.e. drag expand capability for the taskbar)).

Comment

I do observe a change in my RAM usage.. it reduced to some extent. But maybe there was too much gtklibs into the memory in my previous install.. :/

Comment

No slowdown noticed here, and CPU temp is considerably reduced.

Comment

According to Gkrellm, CPU usage is about the same, although Intrepid does tend to run ~2 - 3 degrees F warmer than Hardy, and i've just timed the boot for interest's sake, it's 56 seconds for Intrepid, and 57 seconds for Hardy.

That is from hitting the Grub Screen selector, to the end of the intro.

Comment

As a follow-up, and to ensure fair play, i just booted into XP, which has all services stopped - to ensure faaast game-play, the only program that i have it load at boot is Ashampoo media player.

Both Hardy and Intrepid have a small javascript, network manager, Amarok, Stardict, KOrganizer, and KNotes to add to the start-up time, which is probably why XP can be up-and-running in 23 seconds.

Comment

Definitely a much faster shutdown which is very evident and a slightly faster start up too.

Temperatures running cooler by several degrees.

Running 64 bit version of Intrepid with KDE 4.1.2
                The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

I experience faster boot, well I think it's faster anyway. But my CPU usage is quite high it's almost always above 50%.
                  This worries me...
                  So boot is faster, but everything else is in normal speed.

I wish that KDE4 would become a very speedy and very lightweight DE but retain all of the functions that it has right now...
                  I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Reduced amount of RAM usage.

Not sure if faster or not.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Don't tell me you've been running hardy this whole time with Use VSync checked...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Mine is running 10 degrees cooler in 8.10.

Comment

Oh come on guys... it's also now winter (at least where I am) and that does make a little bit of difference too...

Comment

The difference is noticed on my machine with dual boot to 8.10 and 8.04 so I assume it is winter on both of them.

Comment

I suspected that Ibex was slightly faster than Hardy on startup, but my Hardy had accumulated the extras from the basic one CD download since I installed it as a beta.
                              When I installed Ibex as a beta, it didn't have all the extra programs that I've been accumulating and now the time is about the same. Of course the real delay is how long it takes me to type my power on password, dm-crypt password and logon password. Together they account for about 15 seconds of the 1minute 15 second start up for both Hardy and Ibex.
                              HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
                              X