This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can a file be executable only?

Here is my scenario. I need to share a windows .exe from my Kubuntu system. A guest on a network Windows Xp computer needs to access this file (.exe) and execute it, but not be able to copy it or access it.

I tried Making the file permissions for others to be executable only 001. The problem is that with this permission, I cannot execute it or do anything with it. I can only view it. I can only execute it when adding the read permissions along with the execute only. And when we can read it, we can copy it.

Or maybe someone know a better way of doing this?

Regards

Marc

Re: can a file be executable only?

I maybe be missing something -- I'm no computer scientist.

But it seems to me that the function of executing a program inherently loads it, or significant parts of it into memory (of the user's machine), right? Which is a very close cousin of copying, which runs it through memory on its way to the user's storage device. I'm not sure allowing execution of a file, while precluding the ability to copy it, is feasible unless you take away the user's storage devices. Remember diskless PCs?

Comment

That's correct, but only part of the executable file actually gets copied to ram. It really depends on how the executable uncompresses itself and runs. The user could get the pieces that are still in memory with memory readers. I can solve this with policies at the local computer.

Could this be solved using a web-server? could I post the file so that the user can click on a link to execute it but cannot right click and save as as an option?

Comment

Originally posted by blkmax

could I post the file so that the user can click on a link to execute it but cannot right click and save as as an option?
        Meh -- you're wayyyyyy over my head there! It seems to me that the things that "execute" from a web link are usually either some type of flash, java, or php functions, or else are actually already resident on the local PC (Wise Installation Wizard) and are merely "kicked off" by the web link. But, I dunno -- I'm doing well just to use what's actually installed on mine. :P

Comment

absolutely there are ways to block right-click on a web page. no, don't ask me how to set it up, i don't know, but i do know from my browsing experience that such a thing is not uncommon.

what i would recommend is setting up a VNC kind of thing for the remote user to log in and access the function. as "administrator" you would have total control over what that login allows. make a *copy* of the executable file in question available to the VNC. that way you can use it as well, without the craziness that happens in the microsoft world when two users try to share the same stuff.

better yet, get the other person to start using ubuntu. then these kinds of issues are easier to solve.

:P

Comment

Don't you have to be able to read/access a file to be able to execute it?
            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

In any case, the *nix file permissions will only apply to *nix systems (eg those served over NFS). If you're sharing this over Samba to the Windows box, then the Samba daemon will need read-access to the file to send it across the network.

Originally posted by bleu rider
              absolutely there are ways to block right-click on a web page. no, don't ask me how to set it up, i don't know, but i do know from my browsing experience that such a thing is not uncommon.
              And they do nothing save cause irritation to those who actually want to right-click sometimes. It takes longer to set up the irritation than it does to overcome it. Don't bother.

Comment

Working...
              X