X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No audio on laptop speakers (SOLVED)

Hi,

I have strange problem
    I have Kubuntu, Hardy, 64bit, Acer Aspire 7520.

My sound card works fine, but when I am unpluggin' speakers, every program that uses audio (like Amarok, Kaffeine, etc.) crashes after clicking play button. There is even automatic e-mail being created for developers of Amarok to let them know about this problem

All "Linux system sounds" (like when starting up or error) are perfectly fine and I can hear them through build in laptop speakers, but nothing except that.

If I will plug jack back into socket (speakers or headphones) it works again...

I had searched all config that I know about and nothing.

- Does anyone know what could be the issue ?

Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Re: No audio on laptop speakers

is it possible the pc speakers are disabled in BIOS?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
      is it possible the pc speakers are disabled in BIOS?

Very good idea, but unfortunately not. I just checked BIOS.
      I don't even have sound configuration there (this laptop is poor in options in bios)

Comment

If you have a sound card as well as a built-in (onboard?) chip, it is necessary to disable the on-board in the Bios.... it took me a loooong time and much trial-and-error to find that one out.

I even invented some new sweary-words.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
          If you have a sound card as well as a built-in (onboard?) chip, it is necessary to disable the on-board in the Bios.... it took me a loooong time and much trial-and-error to find that one out.
          I even invented some new sweary-words.
          I don't get what you mean. I have normal laptop (just) with build in card. Everything was working fine, until yesterday when I realised that media programs are crashing without speakers pluged in.

Comment

My mistake, when you said "My sound card works fine" i assumed that you had a separate card as well as one on-board.

I will retire quietly into the background.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
              My mistake, when you said "My sound card works fine" i assumed that you had a separate card as well as one on-board.
              I will retire quietly into the background.
              Please don't ;-) Always make some noise!

Now - problem is fixed.

As I said in first post - it was a bit silly problem... but annoying, so I will write here what I have done in case someone will have similar one.

When I was playing some music on Amarok, I had Idea to unplug speakers while playback (hard way). Amarok crashed. Than I started again and second time, there was about 2-3 seconds of silence, no program crash and than I had music from laptop build-in speakers. I had tried it in every combination and it works.

Strange - but that's what you need to do when you don't have sound via laptop speakers.

Comment

I'm glad you sorted it out;

Would you like to edit your first post so that says Solved in the title?

Comment

Working...
                X