This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

net and org

I've always going to http://www.kubuntu.net and considered that to be the Kubuntu website. But I just typed Kubuntu in to Google and the first hit is http://www.kubuntu.org

Neither site looks any more or less 'official' than the other. So now I'm wondering, what's the deal with these sites? Anyone know?

Re: net and org

Hmm ....

This, Robotex, tells that:

> kubuntu.net
    kubuntu.net is a domain controlled by three nameservers at canonical.com. Some of them are on the same IP network...
    and

> kubuntu.org
    kubuntu.org is a domain controlled by three nameservers at canonical.com. Some of them are on the same IP network...

> Canonical
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I think you can basically put all of them in right? .org, .net, or .com and they will work. (.com kicks you over to .org) Some companies will do that so that someone can't just make a website with the same name, that is not affiliated with the company or group.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
        I think you can basically put all of them in right? .org, .net, or .com and they will work. (.com kicks you over to .org) Some companies will do that so that someone can't just make a website with the same name, that is not affiliated with the company or group.
        Yeah, I've seen cases where a company will register multiple tlds and have them all point at the same site. But kubuntu.org and kubuntu.net are two separate sites with different content. Which is somewhat confusing given they both appear to be controlled by Canonical.

Comment

Working...
        X