This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything other than Amarok?

I would like to use a mp3 player software program other than Amarok? Is there anything? I despise Amarok and I don't want to use it. Anyone who says it's good is not using their mp3 player in any mode other than USB-MSC or they have one of the few players that Amarok decided to automatically configure. Heck, that POS cannot even properly configure an Ipod (in iPod mode) most of the time. Even though the iPod is the most common mp3 player.

Anyway, I am tired of trying to configure an mp3 player in MTP mode because it is so irrational in the setup and operation. Nothing is intuitive and it sometimes crashes or freezes or sits there loading forever.

I'm so tempted to go to Ubuntu/Gnome because most apps in KDE are POS's. KDE/Knetwork Manager and now Amarok. I didn't like Amarok for ages but I'm used to using an mp3 player in USB/MSC mode. But, any program can do that. Yet, Amarok cannot configure or operate an mp3 player in MTP mode. It cannot add/configure the collection list and you can't stop/cancel the 'building database' when you know it won't load or is not really loading. In summary, it's garbage and I would like to use something that works even just a fraction better.

Surely, there must be another program that works in KDE?

Re: Anything other than Amarok?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Songbird

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPlayer
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I noticed that it is a bug since amarok 1.4.5. I currently have amarok 1.4.9.1 installed. I think that's over two years with the same bug. Unreal.

The bug seems to be: 'Building Collection Database' - [Bug 153759 or [Bug 127426] (related/similar?)

I'm this close to giving up on using a KDE desktop. KDE developers just don't care about the programs/applications that are used in KDE. If the programs don't work, it's like they are shrugging their shoulders and saying/thinking, 'tough *bleep*.'

Does RhythmBox work any better?

VLC Player and KPlayer are primarily video players, I thought. Songbird doesn't look like it has much support.

:-(

Comment

dualpretop told > Topic: Qmmp - good player

Lot of media players > Topic: Media Players

What are you using ? > Topic: good mp3 player on kubuntu
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

AFAIK, Amarok2 (for KDE4, currently Beta) should have MTP support (or at least it is worked on). Can't tell for sure since haven't used it (don't have need for MTP). Quick search brought up this blog post about it:
          http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...n-Support.html

The beta is installable (at least from intrepid) repos, package 'amarok-kde4'

Feel free to explore your options, there are several other players available (KDE and non-KDE, see earlier posts) in case one of them meets your needs, although I'm under the impression amarok is the player of choice among many gnome users, as well (But then again, people have varying needs)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            AFAIK, Amarok2 (for KDE4, currently Beta) should have MTP support (or at least it is worked on). Can't tell for sure since haven't used it (don't have need for MTP). Quick search brought up this blog post about it:
            http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...n-Support.html

The beta is installable (at least from intrepid) repos, package 'amarok-kde4'

Feel free to explore your options, there are several other players available (KDE and non-KDE, see earlier posts) in case one of them meets your needs, although I'm under the impression amarok is the player of choice among many gnome users, as well (But then again, people have varying needs)
            I guess I should give up on using the MTP mode. But, according to me, it doesn't work and is flakey. I had to use the command 'mtp-detect' and before that, I had to install 'mtp-tools' in order to carry out that operation.

When I finally did get the MTP mode to display my music, I couldn't do anything with it. I could not play any songs and I could not put any songs/music into any kind of play list. It was an ordeal to just mount the player and have it in MTP mode. Once it was in MTP mode, it was not usable and Amarok is NOT intuitive whatsoever when dealing with that mode and the settings aren't helpful at all.

I read that Amarok and Rhythm Box both had MTP support but I had bad experiences with them. Rhythm Box was decent in MSC mode but the demo audio files had a crackling sound with it. I guess there is no alternative to either so the idea that Linux has all this free software and plenty of options per software package is not really true. I mean, there is nothing else that is like iTunes which is what I was looking for. Only Amarok and RhythmBox have 'library' structures and lists to their music players. I suppose there may be some new players that have some sort of offering of this but Amarok and RhythmBox are the big ones. But, both were unsatisfactory as far as I'm concerned. :-/

Comment

Update: it seems I got it to work but not without a lot of trouble. I had to run 'mtp-detect' in a terminal as root and mtp-tools was installed.

It kept giving errors and ending early. I turned off the player and then on again. When it showed it was 'connected' I tried again. Also, I entered the 'pre-connect' command on the configuration screen. I used the device node that the MSC mode would connect it to. I don't know if all this contributed to it working but it seemed to connect in MTP mode and I am sort of figuring out how to add/create a play list. The main thing is that I can play songs/mp3s.

Hopefully, this can be repeated in Intrepid 8.10 (I'm using Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 and Amarok 1.4.9.1 right now).

Edit: Only working in part. Not all the media/music on the mp3 player is loaded. I don't get it...

Comment

Working...
              X