This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux support for TomTom Home

I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

(translated from Norwegian)

Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

Their answer:
    Dear costumer

Thanks for getting in touch with us

TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open to it if enough users wants a Linux version.

TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    What kind of emulators have you tried?

Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users because more and more are switching to Linux.

With regards,
    Tomtom User support.

My answer:

I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the point of running Linux then.

Linux distribution of TomTom home

I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

(translated from Norwegian)

Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

Their answer:
    Dear costumer

Thanks for getting in touch with us

TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open to it if enough users wants a Linux version.

TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    What kind of emulators have you tried?

Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users because more and more are switching to Linux.

With regards,
    Tomtom User support.

My answer:

I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the point of running Linux then.

Comment

Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

Count me in - request just logged!

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Count me in - request just logged!
        Good!
        I am somewhat baffled by the fact that it seems that they have ignored Linux users.
        How are we supposed to install maps, voices, updates,startup images, POI sets, etc ?
        I have to borrow a computer running *that* to do that...

I alt so gave support the link to this thread.

Comment

Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

I don't use or need the program myself, but it seems to me that it would be a Good Idea to post this on as many Linux Forums as possible.

Or had that already occurred to you...?

Comment

Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

Originally posted by aged hippy
            I don't use or need the program myself, but it seems to me that it would be a Good Idea to post this on as many Linux Forums as possible.

Or had that already occurred to you...?
            Yes, i xposted it to
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097595.0
            and news..

alt.os.linux.ubuntu
            alt.satellite.gps
            alt.satellite.gps.tomtom
            alt.comp.linux
            alt.os.linux.ubuntu

Comment

I do recall being able to install them by copying onto the TomTom but it was a bit messy.

Many seem to do the same - using Linux to run their devices but then not thinking about those who actually run that OS on their PCs. My Blackberry also seems to run on Linux (IIRC the directory structure is /home/.....) but no version of the software, although given what it did to my Windows installation (resulting in my having to wipe everything) perhaps that's not a bad job!

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                I do recall being able to install them by copying onto the TomTom but it was a bit messy.

Many seem to do the same - using Linux to run their devices but then not thinking about those who actually run that OS on their PCs. My Blackberry also seems to run on Linux (IIRC the directory structure is /home/.....) but no version of the software, although given what it did to my Windows installation (resulting in my having to wipe everything) perhaps that's not a bad job!
                Well, it looks that the makers of devices that runs Linux does not bother to make the software.
                Thats in my opinion neglection and stupidity.

People like this one makes me sad:

Quote:
                path: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.gig anews.com!nntp.giganews.com!aotearoa.belnet.be!new s.belnet.be!news.germany.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
                Newsgroups: alt.satellite.gps
                Subject: Re: TomTom HOME version for Linux
                Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:40:14 +0100
                Lines: 18
                Message-ID: <e015d4dund2gv2igot3dck6surb304p918@4ax.com>
                References: <saCdnegrlIbi1U_V4p2dnAA@telenor.com>
                Mime-Version: 1.0
                Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
                Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                X-Trace: individual.net EkoFs2Dtx1DBtkW/9NALfQUFEbIe3wxy+0KJibNqUNxVdzmpIF
                Cancel-Lock: sha1ycKUhxQp8jivbG5h8AKX//0AME=
                X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1117
                Bytes: 1379
                Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com alt.satellite.gps:104172

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:24:31 +0200, iceprince <isprins@home.no> wrote:

>I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
                >tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux,

That saves them money.

> but the only software that exists
                >are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

Not bothering to support 0.1% of the market saves them money.

What is hard to understand?
                --snip--
                unquote:

And by the way..
                Tomtom HOME is free!

Comment

Now altso posted at :
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...63#post5822263

Comment

Working...
                  X