This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIA Processor only running at half rated speed

I bought a Everex Cloudbook namely because I wanted a netbook, that had Linux pre-installed, and not costing an arm and a leg.

The Everex Cloudbook has a VIA C7-M ULV 1.2Ghz processor that is stuck at 600Mhz. It is apparently a known problem. I have found references of how to fix this but it either doesn't work or is written for developers and I can't figure it out. If anyone can tell me how to correct this in a way that makes sense to someone who hasn't had experience compiling anything I'd appreciate it greatly.

Hardware Specifications
    1.2GHz, VIA C7®-M Processor ULV, 512MB DDR2 533MHz, SDRAM, 30GB Hard Disk Drive, 7" WVGA TFT Display (800 x 480), VIA UniChrome Pro IGP Graphics, VIA High-Definition Audio, 802.11b/g, (1) 10/100 Ethernet Port, (1) DVI-I Port, (2) USB 2.0 Ports, (1) 4-in1 Media Card Reader, (1) .3MP Webcam, (1) Headphone/Line-Out Port, (1) Microphone/Line-In Port, (1) Set of Stereo Speaker, (1) Touchpad, (1) 4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

BTW, gOS Linux v2 Rocket SUCKS!
    I removed it and installed Kubuntu 8.04

Re: VIA Processor only running at half rated speed

Hi,

You can fix this by right clicking on your battery icon in your tray and selecting the performance. The full speed of the CPU will be used.

Also there is program called klaptop which you can set this up too

Comment

Or could it be purposely underclocked in the BIOS to add battery life? Isn't that the latest/greatest when it comes to these netbooks?

Comment

Originally posted by kreggz
        Hi,

You can fix this by right clicking on your battery icon in your tray and selecting the performance. The full speed of the CPU will be used.

Also there is program called klaptop which you can set this up too

No, definatly not it, was the first thing I tried before googling qnd finding all Cloudbooks were doing this. I tried installing a distro w/ kernel 2.6.25.5 but when I tried to utilize CPUFreq it said the processor wasn't scalable. I know its correctable I just can't seem to understand their instructions. They are written more for developers than those of us that haven't had to compile before....

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Working...
        X