This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox about:config changes

I was just bored at work so I thought I would post a couple of quick about:config changes you can make to Firefox that might help with speed and other stuff... I'm sure some of you have tried these... but like I said... I am bored.

first up is config.trim_on_minimize. this isn't a default setting so you will probably have to create it by right clicking anywhere on the about:config page, select new >boolean
    for the New Boolean Value enter the name config.trim_on_minimize click OK, set to true and enter. (this makes it so your FF browser uses less resources when you have the page minimized)

second is content.switch.threshold. this might not be in there by default either so again right click anywhere on the page and select new >integer for the name enter content.switch.threshold then enter the value of 1000000 and hit enter.

the next 3 are already in FF, this is just a matter of changing the value...
    In the filter type network.http double click on network.http.pipelining to set it's value to true.
    next, double click on network.http.pipelining.maxrequests and set the value to at least 8.
    finally, double click on network.http.proxy.pipelining to set it's value to true.

and last but not least, right click anywhere on the about:config page and select new >integer
    enter the name nglayout.initialpaint.delay enter a value of 0, then hit enter.

That's it for now.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: Firefox about:config changes

An interesting post, and I'm always looking for ways to improve performance, but could you tell us a little about what each of those entires does?

Comment

config.trim_on_minimize.. makes it so your FF browser uses less resources when you have the page minimized. I've checked mine and the memory usage when the browser is active is about 72,000, once minimized it drops down to less than half that amount. **this might only work for Windows OS.

network.http.pipelining.. speeds up http requests. (you can read more on it here http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netl...ining-faq.html
      the pipelining, maxrequests, and proxy pipeling all fall under this.

content.switch.threshold.. allows you to configure the frequency of certain events when parsing and rendering web pages.

nglayout (Next Generation Layout Engine) Determines time in milliseconds to wait before an initial reflow attempt during page rendering. The default value is 250. you can synchronize with content.notify.interval for best performance.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

ui.allow_platform_file_picker Set to false.

Comment

browser.backspace_action

change the value from 2 to 0 so you can use the backspace key to go back a page! Just like older versions of firefox in linux, and firefox on windows!
          Compaq Presario c727us, 120GB&nbsp; HDD, 2GB DDR2, 1.6GHz, fully working sound, wifi, proprietary buttons, and on board mouse with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 4.1

Comment

network.dns.disableIPv6 set that to false to disable IPv6, makes ff quite a bit faster for me

Comment

Originally posted by super.rad
              network.dns.disableIPv6 set that to false to disable IPv6, makes ff quite a bit faster for me
              Hmmmmm.... seems to be much faster for me as well...

Thanks.

Comment

Are you sure that's correct? From the mozillazine kb:

True

Disable IPv6 DNS lookups.

False

Perform IPv6 DNS lookups on IPv6-capable OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by 289Shelby
                  Are you sure that's correct? From the mozillazine kb:

True
                  Disable IPv6 DNS lookups.

False
                  Perform IPv6 DNS lookups on IPv6-capable OSs.
                  lol. Must have swallowed a handful of placebos before rendering my opinion...

Comment

That's correct. the default setting is "false". to disable ipv6 set it to "true".

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      That's correct. the default setting is "false". to disable ipv6 set it to "true".
                      Ah... so I changed it to true afterall... :whew:

Comment

Thanks! I have no IPv6 stuff so I always make a point to turn off everything related to that. Seems to always confuse IPv4. By the way, should that not be set to TRUE meaning you want it Disabled? Mine was already False and I set it to True and it does seem to help.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                          ...should that not be set to TRUE meaning you want it Disabled
                          No wonder we are all confused in this thread... "not set to true for disabled"...

My head is about to explode.

Comment

Working...
                          X