This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love Dolphin in Kubuntu

I really like Kubuntu 8.04 but I just love the context menus in Dolphin. I can choose to edit a file as root without having to jump over to the command line and type in some forgotten commands. Hooray for someone!! Keep up the good work.
    Harold<br />Kubuntu 8.04<br />Mepis 7.0 &amp; 8.0<br />Mint 5 KDE

Re: Love Dolphin in Kubuntu

In Konqueror:
    Right-click > Edit as root
    Done.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Can't quite get into Konqueror. I guess it has something to do with it being a browser and file manager. I am coming from Windows where I had a file manager and a separate browser. Eventhough I quit using Internet Explorer several years ago and went to FireFox. As someone new to Linux sometimes more is overwhelming when it is new and different. Still looking and learning, though.

Comment

Originally posted by houndhen
        I guess it has something to do with it being a browser and file manager.
        That's what Windows Explorer is. It's the same core as IE.

Also, Konqueror is a very robust (and matured) file manager. Personally, I would say it's better as a file manager than a web browser. But that's my opinion. I believe Dolphin is available for the very purpose that you mentioned... to not overwhelm new users. As Snowhog mentioned in a different thread concerning Dolphin and Konqueror, Linux is all about choices.

If you like Firefox on Windows, why not install it on Kubuntu? It only requires a few extra Gnome-based libraries to be installed.

Edit: Forgot to say welcome to Linux!
        Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Already have Firefox installed. Maybe Konqueror will grow on me.

Comment

I would imagine that the feature set of Konqueror's file management will slowly creep into Dolphin with developer migration to QT4. Integration into the environment is very important. Dolphin isn't showing it yet.

Yes, Konqueror needs to mature as a web browser. Bookmarks are non-intuitive nor drag-n-drop oriented and when you do drag a link it pastes the wrong information, I want the web site name not the address displayed, I guess we don't like pointers. Fonts make me want to check my spectacle prescription.
            - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

However Konqueror plays nicer with mime types and plugins than FF3.
              - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Working...
              X