This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install bogofilter plugin for Evolution? SOLVED

I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 and evolution for email. I find that the list of plugins does not include bogofilter, even though the bogofilter package is installed. I like bogofilter. Can anyone help me install the bogofilter plugin in evolution?

Re: How to install bogofilter plugin for Evolution?

Spam/Junk

Does Evolution support spam checking?
    Yes, since version 2.0, Evolution uses SpamAssassin for spam checking. Since version 2.4 SpamAssassin is optional, so make sure you have enabled the "Sa junk-plugin" under "Edit | Plugins". Since version 2.10 you can also use Bogofilter instead of SpamAssassin.

Why does Evolution not automatically filter for spam?
    First of all, make sure that SpamAssassin is installed and the sa-plugin enabled (see "Edit | Plugins"). Make sure you have enabled "Check incoming mail for junk". You can find this option under "Edit | Preferences | Mail Preferences | Junk | General". This setting only refers to POP and Local delivery. If you use IMAP, make sure you have enabled "Check new messages for Junk contents" under "Edit | Preferences | Mail Accounts | Edit | Receiving options | Options". Also, SpamAssassin's built-in Bayes filters need to be trained. The default SA rules work from the very first message, as do the network tests. Bayes needs to learn 200 Spam and Ham each, before kicking in (default install). Note: "Learn", not identify. Messages are learned either by manually classifying them, or if a certain threshold is reached (which is more extreme than the line between Spam and Ham). If you have installed SpamAssassin 3.0 or later, you will need Evolution 2.6 to successfully use it, due to http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325210.

Can I use another program than spamassassin for spam checking?
    You can try to pipe your incoming messages to other programs by setting up a filter. Since Evolution 2.4, using SpamAssassin has become optional (you can disable the SpamAssassin "Sa junk-plugin" under "Edit | Plugins") and could be easily replaced by other spam checking plugins. Evolution 2.12 also provides built-in support for Bogofilter.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you, Snowhog, but it doesn't answer my question. When I go to Edit->Plugins, Spamassin is listed among the plugins, but bogofilter is not. When I go to Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk, it does not list bogofilter as one of the options. I cannot choose bogofilter.

I know that bogofilter works with evolution because I have an alternate system with Ubuntu Hardy on it and evolution had bogofilter as one of its options from the day it was loaded. I am installing Kubuntu now because I like KDE better than Gnome.

So I need to know how to install bogofilter as a plugin for Evolution, or, equally good, how to alert Evolution that bogofilter is available.

Comment

You could try converting the Redhat .rpm package to a .deb package with alien

The evolution-bogofilter plugin for Redhat is available here

Comment

SOLVED!

I am embarrassed. When I installed evolution, I seem to have forgotten to install "evolution-plugins" as well. After installing evolution-plugins, all is well.

Comment

There ya go!

Just return to your first post in this thread and click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Working...
            X