This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED] KDE 4.1 crashes when upgraded from 4.0

I originally ran kde 3.5 on kubuntu 8.04, then I installed the KDE4 packages and was happily (more or less) using KDE4.0.

Today I followed the instructions on the 4.1 release page, and there were some conflicts with packages which I resolved by running dpkg --force-overwrite. I can find which packages it was, but they seemed totally unimportant (Kstars, for example). I also added the new plasma addons package, but I have since tried removing it.

When I start the computer the login manager works fine, then when I login I get an error about the plasma workspace crashing (segfault) and no desktop appears. Applications (launched from the alt-f2 menu). I started it in konsole and this is the error output:

bneuman@muzz:~$ plasma
    <unknown program name>(6548)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x61c840 58720257
    <unknown program name>(6548)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x61bb60
    Plasma crashed, attempting to automatically recover
    KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
    KCrash: Application Name = plasma path = <unknown> pid = 6549
    plasma(6548): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
    Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

bneuman@muzz:~$ <unknown program name>(6551)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x61c840 58720257
    <unknown program name>(6551)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x61bb60
    plasma(6551): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
    Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

Any Ideas? KDE 3.5 still works fine. I also have the proprietary ati drivers installed and am using the 64 bit version of kubuntu.

Re: KDE 4.1 crashes when upgraded from 4.0

fixed!

I deleted my ~/.kde4 folder and everything worked, obvious in hindsight!

Comment

Re: [FIXED] KDE 4.1 crashes when upgraded from 4.0

Thanks for reporting back. I didn't have any crash, but I found it's a good thing to remove the .kde4 directory for hte upgrade (I got a better looking desktop). Many things are still not very easy to configure, and it's better to start with the default desktop at this stage, or so it seems ...

Comment

Working...
      X