Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to recover files deleted 'as root' ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to recover files deleted 'as root' ?

Happened to me while running HH KDE 3.5.9. I was cleaning up files in /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes (using Konqueror) by clicking/dragging on the files I wanted to delete and right-clicking and selecting Root Actions > Delete. Well, I wasn't paying attention (yeah, bad, bad, bad - I've already slapped myself) and I deleted the entire themes folder. I already had my custom themes compressed, so I was able to rebuild everthing. But ...

Is there a way to recover files/folders that are deleted 'as root' ?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Is it possible to recover files deleted 'as root' ?

RESCUE Partitions & Data
    Data Rescue Links & Comments & Tips
    TestDisk -- PhotoRec -- Knoppix (or other Live CDs)
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091847.0

Possibly that.

All I know is what's there, and it's been quite awhile since I wrote that. I spent a couple days wrecking things as badly as possible and testing whether PhotoRec could recover "deleted" files. It did very well, but I couldn't quantify that scientifically. I even deleted files AND reformatted the partition and still was able to recover most. As I recall, TestDisk/PhotoRec publishes some links at the site, too.

(With TestDisk, I really messed things up -- even deleting the MBR, and it did very well recovering partitions, but that's not the issue here; i.e., recovering files using PhotoRec.)

... anecdotal
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Mike. I'll peruse that. As said, I had my KDM themes already compressed, and as I'm running a triple-boot system, I just pulled the two default themes (kubuntu and circles) over from one of the other partitions. So, my error has been rectified and I'm 'made whole' again.

This raises the question: why isn't there a 'root' trash folder as well; one that only root has access to. Thus, when one is taking actions (deleting files/folders) 'as root' they don't just 'go the way of the Dodo bird' and become extinct. :P As most of us are aware, at least those of us who have been using computers for a while - I remember loading games onto my Dad's first PC from a cassette tape! - mistakes do/can/will happen, even to the most careful of us!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

This raises the question: why isn't there a 'root' trash folder as well; one that only root has access to.
        Actually, if (in KDE4) you open the Konsole and run
        Code:
        kdesudo dolphin
        , (because the @$%(&*^ Alt-F2 doesn't work ...) the resulting root session of Dolphin has its own trash can. I don't know if you get the same in KDE 3.5.9 or not.

Comment

That's pretty much a 'day late and dollar short' answer. When you realize that your wedding ring slipped off your finger while washing dishes just after you turned on the garbage disposal isn't the time to think that if only you had put the drain screen in before you started the dishes...

Comment

Everyone knows you should disconnect the drain at the p-trap each time before washing dishes with your wedding ring on ... Just keep a pipe wrench handy in the nearby silverware drawer. For this simple reason, I never have to think about this.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Washing dishes, when you're married? What the heck is that all about?

Comment

Working...
              X